When is to young to be married?

I got married at 18, is that to young in your books?

Im-HiDdEn

Asked by Im-HiDdEn at 9:22 AM on Feb. 6, 2013 in Relationships

• it depends on the person. my brother was a few days shy of 20 when he got married...he is now divorced b/c he & his wife (who was also 20) grew up and wanted different things from life, and they both cheated on the other b/c they're immature. my grandma got married at 16 and celebrated 50 years a few years ago. my mom was 18 and my parents just celebrated 30 years.

i was engaged at 18. if i had gotten married i would now be divorced b/c i found out the guy was a controlling asshole...i shudder to think what my life would have been with him. but at the time i had no clue b/c i was an immature 18 year old. it all depends on the person.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:52 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• In my "perfect world" scenario, no one would get married before 23 (after getting a bachelor's in college). And, no one would have a child before 25.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:29 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I was married at 20. At the time I thought I was very grown up and mature. Now I laugh at that. I was married for 12 years and I so wish I had waited! I did still end up continuing college and getting my degree which I'm glad I did.
    I think 25 is the earliest most people should get married. You change and grow so much during that decade of your life (20-30)

Answer by missanc at 9:42 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I, too, got married at 18, and that was 48 years ago. However, I do think that girls are a lot more immature today at that age than we were then. I grew up on the farm, where we had lots of different life experiences and where we were given a lot of responsibility at an early age. Today's young people are coddled a lot more and I believe they are less mature and prepared for real life than when I grew up. It's more about maturity and less about chronological age.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:27 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• It's not something I would do, nor is it something I think most 18 year olds should do. Yes, it can work out occasionally, but most 18 yo have no clue what they are going to do with their life and they need to figure out who they are before getting married.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:57 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I wanted a life before I decided to have a relationship. I went to college, graduate school, worked travelled, bought a house then got married. I have encouraged my daughter to do the same. 30 is a good age to marry.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• At 18 I had far too many things I wanted to do in life and getting married REALLY wasn't one of them!
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 9:47 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• It's not even a question of maturity level. Personalities change so much, decade to decade. Even as we get older they change and they never stop changing.

I personally would never have married at 18; I remember who I was dating then and we'd have been long divorced. But there are women who can marry that young and have a good relationship.

I think what it comes down to is your expectations of your partner. If you marry thinking this person is going to be the same the rest of your lives, you're going to be disappointed. But if you marry knowing that the two of you will grow and change together until you die, you'll be fine. Most 18 year olds are more in the former category than the latter.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• OP, I am going to say this in the nicest way possible. If half the stuff you have posted about your relationship and problems is true, you should not be breaking your arm patting yourself on the back for a successful marriage and the life you're living with the "love of your life".
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:51 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• well I got married at 19. I don't think age really matters. It really depends on maturity. I was mature enough to marry buy my ex wasn't and he was 21. I think everyone just needs to get their single person stuff out of their system before they marry.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:26 AM on Feb. 6, 2013