This is getting old...

My 7 year old has autism...she is in a school for MRDD. There are 2 other children in her class with autism, one with downs, one in a wheel chair the others I am not sure about but there are 8 kids counting her. Her class is k-3rd and there is the teacher and an aide in her class. My daughter is not toilet trained and wears pull ups. Last year in her pre-k class she wet through her pants maybe once a month but they really tried to get her to go on the potty, even if she didn't do anything they still made her sit on it. This year she comes home almost everyday with her "Accident" pants on and a note saying that they changed her because she peed through her pants.
(Accident pants are the spare pants I send in case of an accident).
My daughter will go all night, have a wet diaper but it does not soak through, and when she is home or with my mom, she stays dry all day because we put her on the potty on a schedule and most of the time get her to at least pee. Sometimes she might wet before we take her but never has she soaked her outter pants and needed to have them changed. I even put under pants over her diaper. My mom suggests getting plastic panties and putting on her but what I don't understand is why this is happening. Are they not even changing her? I can see her wetting her diaper, staff is limited, but how on earth is she peeing clear through the pull up, the underpants and her jeans/sweats etc...
It doesn't make any sense to me and I am about to go to the school and start toileting her myself.
Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions? Thanks all.

AnonNdrag

Asked by AnonNdrag at 9:29 AM on Feb. 6, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If it's not a problem anywhere other than school, that would tell me that they are not doing anything to try to train her nor are they changing her. And I would pitch a fit about that.

wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:38 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I would be reminding them to change her, if need be I would show up a couple of times to do it myself. I am sure they are overwhelmed, but in order for her to be comfortable, they need to make more of an effort.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 9:42 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• If she has an IEP, changing her and putting her on the toilet should be part of it. If they are doing it then you have every right to go to the school and complain about it. That is a good way for her to end up with a rash. Poor baby girl. I would be livid. If it were only every once in a while, that I could understand, but not every freaking day.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:55 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I had this problem last year. I would change my son right before he got on the bus and by the time he was getting to school, he would already be soaked. I would even have him sit on the potty before I took him out to the bus, and it still didn't help. What we ended up having to do was not give him anything to drink before he went to school and have them get him a drink as soon as he got there. It seemed to work for him. We haven't had that problem this year, so I think alot of it had to do with the bus driver or aide from last year. Thankfully, they have a different bus driver now, so I don't have to worry about that.
    I would be going in to the school and trying to find out what is going on.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I would definitely be going to the director about this. It is part of their job to take care of her, and that includes changing her, no matter how inconvenient it is to them. Good luck getting this all worked out.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:39 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• yes it is in her IEP. After thinking it over I decided that Monday (I have to work the rest of this week, Monday is my day off) I am going to pop in for an hour or two and see what is going on. Find out if she is being changed and if not why, and if she is not I am going to the director and ask if there is something we can do to change this because its unfair and insensitive for her to have to sit all day in a soggy wet diaper. I honestly think that they are leaving her in it till right before she gets on the bus, from 9am till about 2:30 PM just because her pull-ups dont have Velcro snaps and its too hard for them to take her shoes, AFO's socks and pants off to change her.
    AnonNdrag

Comment by AnonNdrag (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Feb. 6, 2013