How will the stimulous package affect you? (article with details)

This is what Yahoo posted just a while ago with the break down of benefits: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090214/ap_on_go_co/stimulus_stakes_who_gets_what

Don't misinterpret any of this as being cash in the hand, except at tax filing time. No one is getting a check in the mail. LOL I don't know how many times i've answered that question. :)

Frankly, the tax benefits have gone up, but many of them are simply the same old carry overs from the last year. The refundable credits are what kicks my butt and gripes me to no end. Most situations refundable credits give money to those that didn't have a tax liablity to begin with. grrrrr..

lifeasinoit

Asked by lifeasinoit at 2:03 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• People drawing unemployment checks — nearly 5 million and growing — would get an extra $25, and keep those checks coming longer. People who get Supplemental Security Income — 7 million poor Americans who are elderly, blind or disabled — would get one-time extra payments of $250. so again, people living on welfare, millions who are able bodied to work, but dont, will get more. but the elderly, blind, disabled will get $250 one time. i understand many of them also get food stamps, but if the system would make people go out and get jobs, we could take care of elderly and disabled more adequatley.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 3:54 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• my 2 year old daughter will be paying for a debt that she never purposefully obtained. for the entirety of her life.
    chickenhobbit

Answer by chickenhobbit at 2:12 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• My son and future granchildren will be paying out the nose for that extra 13 bucks a week the government is allowing taxpayers to keep. It won't help and it will not create new jobs. In 4 years we will have a new President hopefully he uses his brain.
    Anonymous

• Well I guess it'll give my husband and I $800 tax credit because we work....But it never said how it's gonna get paid back. One of the Senators on the Senate floor yesterday said it would cost us an additional $10000.00 Hope he's wrong there. But who knows, I'm sure we will all find out eventually.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 2:17 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• You will get the tax credit in your pay check. If you are paid every two weeks you will get 30 bucks a pay period extra. Not much to really stimulate anything.
    Anonymous

• Wow. What am I going to do with all that extra money? If this is supposed to be change, I want off of this ride.
    loflingirl

Answer by loflingirl at 3:37 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• wow. i will be honest, this is the first i have really read on the breakdown. but, some questions:
    And it adds $25 billion extra to No Child Left Behind and special education programs, which help pay teacher salaries, among other things. i was under the impression that obama and other demos thought the no child left behind act was what is causing the school system to fail. but now there givng extra funding for it? People who get food stamps — 30 million and growing — will get more.

ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 3:53 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• with the $13 dollars extra in my husbands paycheck, i will go to the bank to cashe to check so i can pay for gas to go to the bank. also IMO-so many cant pay for the house or car they have (much of why we are in this mess), but if they go buy ANOTHER ONE this year, they will get a tax break. that is just...weird to me.
    ivelostmyself

• the risk is not worth this reward. i don't understand why Democrats don't understand that.

We are following in Pelosi's poor leadership. Look at CA, broke! CA probably has the most income from taxes of all states because of all the wealthy people, celebs, etc....so why are they broke? too many social programs with people scamming, like the mother of 14. Now, this whole nation will be like that? Absolutely, selfish and inappropriate!

I, too, want off this ride!
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 4:04 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• wooohoo Let's screw our kids over!!! Yah reading the actualy breakdown especially this part -

"This will affect us all directly for years, as well as our children and possibly grandchildren, in higher taxes and probably reduced government services. It will also force continued government borrowing, increasingly from China, Japan, Britain, Saudi Arabia and other foreign creditors. "
    Makes me think the economy should just be left alone. Of all I have read and heard about recessions, they generally turn themselves around. Honestly I think this is just Obama pushing his agenda thru and throwing "stimulus" on it so congress will let him! Ugh *rolls eyes* Its ridiculous it looks to me like it is going to do more to damage the US Economy than stimulate it.

SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 4:35 PM on Feb. 14, 2009