PLEASE HELP!(kind of long sorry)

my youngest daughter will be 16 months on the 28th!she doesn't sleep through the night and i dont know what to do im wore out!i have a six year old who did the same ting but i was young when i had her and made the big mistake of giving her a bottle at bed time....i know its bad i wish i would have never done it...but back to my 16 month old...she still gets up 3-4 times a night like a new brn for a bottle!(yes she still gets a bottle we are slowly getting her off them she takes a cup more though)and after getting up all night shes up by 9 am then wants a nap by 10 or 11.sleeps for about an hour and a half, so is up around 12 but wants another nap by 4 and wants to sleep till 6 and if she does that then she wants to stay up till midnight!and still up 3-4 times a night...we will be moving soon so she's in our room and has been since birth because we only have a small 2 bdrm trailer...so we tried letting her scream it out in the middle of the night(like her dr said)and she just screams and i refuse to let her scream all night!i dont know what to do please anyone who can give me some suggestions would be great!

**also its hard to keep a good nap schedule because two days a week and every other weekend my oldest daughter goes to her dads so those days she can nap normal but when my daughter is home i have to my 16 month old up by 8 am and up from a nap by 3:15 to get her sister on and off the bus!please help me!!im stressed to the max and just plain exhausted!

india602

Asked by india602 at 10:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No judging here, only hugs! I know it's so hard to wean sometimes, but try to cut down the amount that you give her during the night. Give her 1/2 a bottle and/or change to water instead. Start changing her naps ON PURPOSE. She's sleeping too much during the day and will sleep better at night once she goes to one nap a day. Start playing with her or running errands during her normal first nap. This should make her tired after lunch and she'll get a couple of hours in the early afternoon, but then she'll be more tired at bedtime. Perhaps if she's not resting so much during normal waking hours, she'll get a deeper, more restful sleep at night. I also don't do the CIO, but when she fusses, try patting her back or bottom while talking softly to her, comforting her, and if you do give the bottle, make it less & less each time. Be adamant about sippy cups ONLY during the day. You have more energy & patience during the day. GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• thanks:) we only give bottle at night after dinner but i know i need to just cut them out...
    india602

Comment by india602 (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I think cutting off the bottles completely will solve a lot of problems. Figure out a nap schedule that will work for every day so it will be consistent and stick with it. Wake her up in the morning at the same time every day and have a set bedtime. It will most likely be rough for a few days, but then it will be much easier.
    Also, could you let her have the bedroom and you and your dh sleep in the living room? Not ideal I know but I did it. It's much harder for them to go to sleep if they see you right there.

Answer by missanc at 10:48 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• she usually falls asleep before we are in the room but maybe an hour later shes back up!and i know bottles are bad at this we still let her have a binky 2...thats a hard thing for her to let go of
    india602

Comment by india602 (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• How about dumping the naps? She's waking at night because she's sleeping too much in the daytime. When she starts getting sleepy, take her outside.

Get rid of ONE nap this week. Then another next week. And so on.

Not letting her scream at night is correct.

If your older child is in school, then allow a nap when the older child is away... and YOU NAP TOO! There's NOTHING you need to do while the toddler is napping. Unless the house is burning down.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:13 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• OK, here is what I do & recommend. My Son was a great sleeper but my Daughter not as great. Now she is 18 months but this is the schedule I have for her: I give her a bottle at 8 pm. Turn off the lights & put on a quiet TV show for her & my 6 year old. She has her milk then snacks on cheerios or a litte banana with her brother for about 10 minutes. Change her diaper & she goes to bed. Wakes up at 7:15 -7:30am & has a bottle. Has breakfast & plays until 11:15am. Gets a bottle then falls asleep for her nap. Sleeps until about 1:30. No more naps until bedtime. Here is your problem: Do not let her sleep after 3pm. Keep her awake. Even if she gets cranky soon she'll get her second wind & perk up. Give her snacks & put fun TV shows on. The reason she isn't sleeping through the night is because she gets too much rest during the day. Let her wear her self out so she can fall into a deep sleep at night. CONT:
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:18 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Cont: Then get a sound machine for her room at night. I think mine is DEX brand?? Anyway, I put on the wind sound at night. My DH & I both snore & we were wking her up. She sleeps great with the sound thing. They sell them at ToysRUs or you can even get one on ebay. So if you cut out all the naps besides the early one, she should sleep through the night. GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:21 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• There are so many ways you can handle this - we had success focusing on one change at a time until we had them all fixed. I'd start with the naps - get her on one consistent realistic schedule that works for all of you on all days. I'd aim for consistent wake-time, bed-time and one mid-day nap. It can take weeks to fully adjust, but she will. Once she's mostly adjusting to the new nap schedule, I'd cut out one bottle at night. You can still go and soothe her, just don't feed her. And slowly give her more and more chances to go back to sleep on her own until she's not waking up anymore. Once that's done, work on the remaining 2-3 night feedings. I would continue to give her the night-time bottle while making the other changes - you can take it away later. But I would give it to her earlier not right as she's falling asleep. She needs to learn to fall asleep without it. These things can be hard - good luck!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2013