A real question about faith...

How can I keep it when all that's going on around me is bad?? I don't understand how a god can let people suffer the way they do. Why is there cancer that can't be cured? Why do we not have answers for that?? I am so tired of people telling me to keep the faith and pray. I have done that until I am blue in the face and NOTHING ever happens.

I am so tired of all the bad happening. I talked to my sister last night and she is in the hospital again and was telling me that they have found that the cancer has come back. They are going to be taking a biopsy of it, but by what my other sister told me this morning it's not looking good. It's terminal... Terminal, really??

My BIL called her ( my other sis) yesterday and told her what the doctors had said, and if they can't get it with this round of chemo and radiation they are giving her two months. WTF???!!! How can someone just put a time limit on somone like that??? It pisses me off so much when I hear that, that I just want to scream.

I am so scared for her and she (the one in the hospital) doesn't even know the full extent of it. He told my other sister that he wants to just keep it positive for her and not to even tell the kids. I can understand that, but now knowing what they have said just makes me angry.

Angry at God if there is one!!!!!! Why would he let someone hurt like that?? I hate hearing the line of "God only gives you what you can handle" because I don't believe that anymore... I mean really... how much is enough?? I know my sister means well when she tells me to keep the faith and pray, but I just can't anymore.

I have tried to pray and it just doesn't work.... The thing about it is, I don't even pray for me... I pray for others and their well being just to be let down. And for my sister to be taken from me.... Oh I am so mad... I can't even imagine the thought of my sister not being here.

I don't know what to do..... I can't stop crying. My heart just aches for her. She shouldn't have to be going through all of this. NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO GO THROUGH IT!! cancer sucks!!!

But I guess there isn't money in a cure, right?? A lot of times that is what it boils down to. Faith seems to just mean nothing... if you don't have money then you can't be helped... I hate the system that we live in!!!

I am sorry to be so negative, but it just seems like that's all that our family has been handed. We do right by others and what do we get... NOTHING!!!!!!!!! I sit here and think of what I have to get done with my eyes and it's so small compared to what she is having to go through.

I don't know where to turn anymore..... :'(

goofygalno1

Asked by goofygalno1 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 6, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• The reasons you listed are part of the reasons that many believe there is no God. Or that if there is a "life force" of some kind, it, not "he" has no involvement in the lives of humans.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:53 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I'm so sorry hon, I agree that it just doesn't seem fair most of the time, I don't pray hardly anymore, it just doesn't feel like there is anyone hearing my prayers :-/ Maybe you need to find a support group or a counselor or something to help you work through all this? idk but we're here for you and sending (((((HUGS))))) your way :(
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 10:54 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• (((((Hugs)))))
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:58 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I have no answers about faith, but you are certainly asking legitimate questions. If you are loosing faith, then I wish you strength. ((hugs))
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:01 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I'm so sorry for what you and your family are going through. Life is not fair and cancer SUCKS.

Honestly, I cannot give you an answer about the faith part. I'm an atheist and the way I see it, all you can do is live a good life and deal with what comes your way the best you can. No God to blame, be let down by or ask anything of

*hugs*

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:02 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I guess that the only thing that I truly believe that helps me get through the day each day, is the power of prayer. It works in so many wonderful ways, and it sure restores my true faith in God.
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 11:58 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• And this is the reason that many do not believe in a personal god. I don't know what to tell you as a similiar situation is what made me start to question things and as I started learning more about other religions I choose the path I am now on which is to not believe in a personal god.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:11 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• it helps a bit if you shift your way of thinking away from a God so concerned with humanity that he "lets" bad things happen or "gives" disease.

God gives intangibles like strength, patience and courage.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I am so sorry :(
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• (((hugs)))
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 6, 2013