Do your children disagree with you about wearing their coats to school?

I can't understand why they feel it's not necessary - and then watch one time they don't and the school will have a fire drill...IN THE COLD! I make them wear their coats, but every day it's a disagreement!

madmueller

Asked by madmueller at 11:43 AM on Feb. 6, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• My son wears a hoodie and shorts. Also, if there's a fire drill they go outside WITHOUT their coats. They can't stop at lockers to get them. Alarm goes off, you go outside. Same as at the preschool I work at. NO coats. I live in Wisconsin and it gets cold here. Had a fire drill yesterday and the kids went outside with NO coats and it was 30 degrees.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:15 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Yeah, he takes a jacket to school with him, but I know he doesn't wear it. As long as it isn't freezing out or raining, I really don't care that much. If he is cold, that is his own fault.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:45 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I think at 13-17, they can dress themselves. If they have a fire drill, so be it. They wouldn't be outside very long and it MIGHT make them wear a coat on their own next time, but even if it doesn't, I would NOT argue with a teenager about wearing a coat. It's a waste of your time and energy. I'd tell them that they are on their own regarding coats, that they don't have to wear them, but you won't be rescuing them if they choose not take it and then get cold later. They are old enough to be responsible for getting themselves dressed.

Don't let mom-guilt overtake you in this area. They will be adults in a few SHORT years. You are basically telling them you don't trust them to dress themselves, but they will be driving a car soon? No, it's time for them to learn to take some responsibility for their OWN choices.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• The only times my children have argued with me about coats is when they were toddlers. I handled it the way I would with teens, which is telling them what I thought & letting them decide. I didn't engage in struggles over the issue. I also oriented them to themselves, so they'd pay attention/notice, and told them if they felt cold to come get their jackets. Sometimes it is just a matter of standing on the step or opening the front door, deciding "It's COLD!" and grabbing the coat after all. Sometimes they are/were fine without.
    When my oldest was 2, she really didn't want to wear her coat (in the backyard.) It was brisk & windy so I made a point of showing her that her coat was on the back porch and that she should remember to get it there if she felt cold. (Again, orienting her to her own body.) She eventually ran up to the porch and put on her coat; I zipped it up for her.
    No automatic resistance developed around the issue.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:00 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• When it's really cold (like, below 15) they do wear a coat. Otherwise it's usually a hoodie. I know the school wouldn't have a fire drill (well, unless a kid pulls it) in the winter. If the alarm goes off it's not like the kids will be stop by their locker to get their jacket.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 6:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• My older kids wear hoodies , my younger ones wear coats.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:43 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• No, but he's also the kid who argues that its too cold to go to school when the temps are below freezing.

Yet he wants to be allowed to wear shorts to school. SMH.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:44 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Mine never fight it, well I lied sometimes my DS fights it but not often
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:45 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I have set temps for mine to wear their jackets/coats/shorts/etc. They know the limits so it eliminates the fights.

Answer by missanc at 11:49 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• No,he wears whatever i put him in. He doesn't care

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:26 PM on Feb. 6, 2013