Does anyone else think V-Day is a ridiculous holiday?

I have always disliked V-Day. I think it is stupid. I show my family I love them daily, I don't need a holiday to remind me to do it. I guess I just never got what was so cool about it.

kmath

Asked by kmath at 11:47 AM on Feb. 6, 2013 in Holidays

• Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:52 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Of course you show them love everyday. One day of the year wouldn't mean much if you didn't. But for me it's a day to go over the top - heart shaped pancakes for breakfast, baked apples with cinnamon red hot candies in them for supper and a large decorated heart shaped cookie for dessert. My kids look forward to it every year. It's like any other holiday - the thing you are celebrating (Christmas, Easter, etc) should be "celebrated" all year long, it's just one day where you really focus on it and don't let day to day life interfere.
    I love it!

Answer by missanc at 11:53 AM on Feb. 6, 2013

• its a day some ppl use to overtly express their love...its also a day a lotta ppl bitch about it when they could just not celebrate it. i dont understand why it has to be such a big deal on both sides. i think i dislike the whining about how dumb Valentine's Day is more than the overly sappy mushy crap.

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:01 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• eh, we have alwaysused it as a day to give the kids something after Christmas that they ahve been asking for. We never did gifts for each other or even went out. We are however going out this year because a movie its coming out I want to see but we would have gone regardless of the day.

I do think people get to upset it SO doesnt do something major,
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:19 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• i like it now that i have kids. its a fun day to do heartsy crafts and eat lots of chocolate. i dont see it as anything more than that, but im single. when i was married though i never really worried much about getting or receiving valentine's gifts.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Personally, I love valentine's day. I even liked it when I was single.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 12:09 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I don't mind it. But like most other holidays, it has been grossly over-commercialized.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:19 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• It's lame, and my husband and I don't celebrate it. I think it's a lot more fun for the kids though, so I get into that. I make up treat bags for their classes, get some little red velvet cupcakes, and volunteer at their school parties. I just bought some cool 3D animal cards for them yesterday to start filling out.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Valentine's Day is THE most important holiday in my business!!

In our busy lives we don't always take the time to connect with each other. Different shifts, kids schedules, both parents working....
    Some relationships honestly need this one day a year to put life on pause, and show some kind of a gesture that lets their partner know they are loved and appreciated.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:14 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Yep, love should be shown everyday & not just be forced on a cheesy holiday. Of course though, if it weren't for that cheesy holiday back in 2009, my youngest DD probably wouldn't have been born.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:00 PM on Feb. 6, 2013