What does Vitamin D do?

....?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• Helps your body absorb calcium.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:44 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• It helps your bones absorb the calcium that you get from your food.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 1:47 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• what they said...its why we have Vitamin D milk
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:51 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• It's actually NOT a vitamin at all - it's a hormone by definition. A vitamin is something you must ingest as your body can't MAKE it. A hormone is something that is synthesized in the body.
    It's responsible for assisting in calcium absorption, it strengthens the immune system and cell function, helps regulate the function of liver, kidney and thyroid. The best way to get vitamin D is through safe sun exposure - sun screen blocks the vitamin D process, so it's important to see some sunlight (specifically UVB - meaning the sun needs to be high in the sky - any lower than 50* from the horizon and the UVB doesn't penetrate the ozone layer very well) without a sunscreened body. UVB converts a skin cholestrol to inactive D3 which is converted by your kidneys to active D3.
    I read this great research article on the benefits of sunlight and VitD, I wish I could find the article...
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:13 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• It helps you avoid cancers and neuromuscular diseases and people don't take nearly enough.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:55 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• It also keeps you energized and helps prevent osteoarthritis. There's a pattern with anemic people being low in Vitamins B & D. I had a problem recently where I wasn't getting enough and was so tired all the time, it felt like someone spiked my food with Benadryl. My joints and bones also began to hurt a lot, like I was hit by a bus. Now that I take supplements, it's gotten much better. My doctor recommended getting at least 1,000 mg of Vitamin D a day and women's one-day type of multivitamins usually have that.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 10:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Ohhhh. That all sounds like me. Anemic. Tired. Joints popping.

I wonder if there is vitamin d in my prenatal!
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 11:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 11:15 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• absorbs calcium in ur body i think
    san78

Answer by san78 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• bowing downIt also strengthens your bones and nervous system. PLUS, it makes your hair grow REAL LONG! I suffered from vitamin D deficiency, and sufered from body numbness, exhaustion PLUS my hair was too weak, easily breaking, wouldn't grow etc. For the past month I've been taking vitamin D supplements, my hair and nails grow as HELL !!!

MamaaSutra

Answer by MamaaSutra at 10:59 AM on Feb. 16, 2013