Am I out of touch???

Am I in the wrong or is my extended family just lacking a common sense gene but all of a sudden it seems like my family(mind you they are in their late 50-early 60's) must tell me "bad News" by email or express condolences by email I understand everyone is in a hurry but is it really that fucking hard to pick up a god dam phone to relay bad news????

liss05

Asked by liss05 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 6, 2013 in Relationships

• There's nothing like the sound of a voice when offering comfort. I would be hurt and unhappy to receive sad news by text or e-mail. The phone is best if you can't be given the news in person.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• In my opinion, it has nothing to do with being in a hurry, but an unwillingness to involve themselves in your emotions. If they send an e-mail, they don't have to be affected by your reaction or feel obligated to offer comfort. I think it's not only wrong to spread bad news that way, but selfish as well.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:31 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• My mother told me she had Cancer ON MY MACHINE!!
    Granted it was a very mild form of Skin Cancer, but geez, lady!

But then of course my mother is also famous for this gem:
    "Ok, honey I have to go, John took his Levitra."
    Click. Dial-tone. Goodbye.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:51 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I think its screwed up to email/text someone that someone died if t you already have their number. If you dont and you have their email then you email them and ask for their number and inform them you have new you will like to tell them by phone.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I don't get it either. Is it really so hard to just use a phone for calling instead of texting?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:28 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• My dad will do that too. I think it's because he doesn't want to hear me upset.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I had to tell my son by email that his cousin died. My son is on a military base and at the time didn't have a phone of any type. It was the hardest email Ive ever written... How do you write those words???? It was impossible but I didnt want him to have a break and decide to log onto his facebook and read it there... So, yeah Id rather call even though it might be more emotional. At least you can gauge their emotions, and fit yours to theirs so you know the right thing to say. An email is just shooting in the dark.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:36 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• its very inappropriate, wrong and lazy.

my ex husband, who i was with at the time, found out his grandfather (who was his father figure in life basically) died on FACEBOOK. his mom freaking posted it as a status. nevermind calling her son first, gotta get it on facebook!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:51 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Bad news nothing. I read on Facebook that my grand daughter was born! My dd didn't seem to think that she needed to tell me she was in labor because she didn't have time to pick up the phone but she had time to post it on Facebook.

It's not one generation or the other. It's just wrong. If it is something major then pick up the phone and call.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:56 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Nimue, that is completely different and 100% understandable.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 6, 2013