Staph and/or Strep infection

So I was not prepared to hear that at all. I never even thought of it. I took my son who is 18 months old to the doctor on Monday because he had red bumps that looked like blisters. Some were open and oozing some kind of fluid. Well the doctor said it was a skin infection but it was also in his nose, mouth and throat. So he is on an oral anitbiotic now. They seem to be working. The blisters have all gotten way smaller and they just look like tiny little scabs and they are a light pink instead of red and some of them have disappeared altogether. The doctor did a swab to find out if it was staph or strep and I'm still waiting to hear back but I guess I dont care much what the results say as long as the antibiotics are working and it goes away. I know he was contagious all of Sunday and Monday (he started the antibiotics around 1pm Monday and is contagious until he's been on them for at least 24 hours) and some of Tuesday.

So my question is if my husband, my daughter or I did catch the infection too, how long would it take the symptoms to show up? I didnt think to ask the doctor and cant really find anything online. So if you might know even just an estimate that would be great. Thank you in advance :)

SMG1120

Asked by SMG1120 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 6, 2013 in General Parenting

• I do not so I would suggest you give the Dr.'s office a quick call with your question and they will get back with you.
    Generally speaking if you do not show symptoms within 2 weeks you are safe.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I agree. Call the doc's office back and ask. They should have a good time frame for you. Every bug incubated for a different period of time, so your guess is as good as mine
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• The rash is most likely a viral rash resulting from a regular virus. You may all get sick but not from the rash itself. My Son gets viral rashes occasionally right before he gets sick. Most of the time it's on the backs of his hands & wrists. Sometimes on all his joints. Is anyone in your house sick already?

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:52 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Its not a virus. Its a bacterial infection caused from either staph bacteria or strep bacteria, that needs an antibiotic to heal it. He's seen his pedi and they are 100% sure it is a bacterial infection but they will not know which bacteria (staph or strep) until the lab results come back from the swab they did. He is not sick with a cold or anything, nor is anyone else (coughing, fever, stuffy/runny nose, stomach aches, sneezing, ect). The only symptom is the red blisters that ooze. Its not a rash.
    SMG1120

Comment by SMG1120 (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• You can call in to your dr.s office and ask them the nurses mght now ior they can leave a message for the dr to call you with the answer.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 9:27 AM on Feb. 9, 2013