Is it facebook or is it your friends?

Any time someone posts about fb, positively or negatively, there are people who crawl out of the woodwork to talk about how they won't use it, have never used it, quit using it, etc, because it's trash or it's horrible. Thing is, fb is user generated content. There's nothing on there that's given to you by fb, it's put there by your friends and family. So, if you look at fb as nothing but pervs or white trash drama or slut central or attention whores, is it fb that's the problem, or the people you associate with?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:17 PM on Feb. 6, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I would say it is the people you associate with. If you don't like what someone else post's it has nothing to do with FB itself.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I don't know. I posted about FB and my point was that even regular folks that I associate with all the time are posting stuff without thinking about the negative impact an image has even if it is for a really good cause. Does that mean I associate with bad or inappropriate people, I don't think so. Does it mean that I don't like facebook because being on the site puts me in the situation of seeing images I don't like, yes.

Doesn't it make more sense to jettison FB rather than stop associating with people I know and love because they sometimes don't think before they post for a cause?
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 4:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I have to agree. I do say I do not use facebook. I realize that email can be hacked and spread throughout the web. But with FB friends and friends of friends etc all get access. I am not crazy about the idea and so I do not use it. I also know that you can set controls etc. to help stop some of that. I am not technically advanced enough to do many of those things. And I do not care to be.
    I do agree that it is abused but it is your choice what you put on the web or on facebook and if it is not to your liking then change who you share with our what you post.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I don't have facebook because I feel that it is too much upkeep. Also I'm a private person and I don't need my location and "status" on display. Problems of facebook are created by the user.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 4:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Exactly!!! I don't have any issues with that crap on FB... I also know how to hide what I don't want to see...
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:26 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• The lovely thing about FB is that you can HIDE the posts you don't like, and if that person is a habitual poster of things you do not want to see, you can change the personal setting on that individual to see only important things. I have about 30 people who are on "Only important" settings because they either always complain about their life, always post depressing things, or are always trying to shove their religion down my throat.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Wouldn't it be the same with email or any other thing though? I have a guy who sends me jokes and pictures and stuff every day on my email (yes DH knows)
    Some is definitely not to my liking. I tell him so but in all honesty I belive at least 95% are sent to hundreds of people and he is not going to change that, just in case I want to see something else. We do not want to block him because we do talk and enjoy emailing him. He is across the country and phoning is not practical. Neither of us is going to write a letter either.
    I am not getting rid of my email because he sends me what I am not interested in. I simply delete it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Neither it's your own damn fault because you're the one "allowing" it by either a) being friends with certain people that opst things you disagree with or b) not using the features like "Hide", "block" and other privacy features at YOUR disposal to keep from seeing the thngs you don't like.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:30 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• If a FB friend I don't want to "unfriend" gets on my nerves with the stuff they post, I hide their posts. One aunt of mine who overshared, and a guy I used to work with who is super negative have both been hidden for years now. That way, I can keep up with everyone else's sick kids, puppy adoptions, and kitchen re-dos.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• the people we choose to associate with.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2013