What's the difference between influenza a and influenza b?

And before you tell me to google, I've been trying - my internet connection is messed up, and my signal is worse than original dial-up - it took 5 minutes for the "ask a question" page to load, who knows how long it'll take to post. My google search sat for 10 minutes "thinking" and never finished - it timed out. So I can't google for myself right now.

idareyou

Asked by idareyou at 4:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2013 in Health

• from another site:

There is not much difference between influenza A and B when it comes to how they affect you -- meaning one is not more or less severe than the other. The major difference comes down to how they are classified and their potential to cause epidemics. Influenza B can cause outbreaks of seasonal flu but they occur less frequently than outbreaks of influenza A.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• What Is Type A Flu Virus?

Type A flu or influenza A viruses are capable of infecting people as well as animals; although it is more common for people to suffer the ailments associated with this type of flu. Wild birds commonly act as the hosts for this flu virus.

Type A flu virus is constantly changing and is generally responsible for the large flu epidemics. The influenza A2 virus (and other variants of influenza) is spread by people who are already infected. The most common flu hot spots are those surfaces that an infected person has touched and rooms where he has been recently, especially areas where he has been sneezing.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 4:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• What Is Type B Flu Virus?

Unlike type A flu viruses, type B flu is found only in humans. Type B flu may cause a less severe reaction than type A flu virus, but occasionally, type B flu can still be extremely harmful. Influenza type B viruses are not classified by subtype and do not cause pandemics.
    daylily888

• How Is Type C Flu Virus Different From the Others?

Influenza C viruses are also found in people. They are, however, milder than either type A or B. People generally do not become very ill from the influenza type C viruses. Type C flu viruses do not cause epidemics.
    daylily888

• Thank you daylily! I'm more curious though, what are the symptoms of each. Are they different symptoms or the same basic symptoms?
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:30 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• same symptoms. Type C it says everybody has had at some point in their lives and mistaken for a cold
    Type A and B are the same which is why when you go to the doc they will test to see which on it is
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 4:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2013