A "Quiet Room" for fussy kids at a restaurant? Workable???

I was listening to the radio on the way to work this morning, and the DJs were talking about the pitfalls of taking children to nice restaurants. Sometimes a child will sit quietly through a meal without a problem, but other times there can be a meltdown of some type, and even the best behaved children can have their moments...

I think the topic started because some restaurants are either: 1. not allowing children in after a certain time, 2. giving parents a "reward" on their bill if their children sit quietly through the meal (a discount), or 3. asking the family to leave if the children are continuously unruly.

So, one of the DJs put out the idea that maybe these restaurants should have a "quiet room" where a parent can take a child who is upset, quiet them down away from the other diners, then return them to the table to finish the meal. What do you think? Would this work?

Nimue930

Asked by Nimue930 at 4:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• This is how I taught my kids to act in restaurants.  I taught them at home.   I made them sit down and be quiet at meals. Tell they were finished.  And made them sit their quietly tell every one else was finished.  And I taught the to eat with their mouth closed to.  

Answer by louise2 at 4:58 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I think of it this way, if a child gets unruly at a resturant just pick that child up and take him out of the place. It's not fun for the kid, it's not fun for the parents and it sure as heck is not fun for the paying customers. Just like any other thing when a child gets out of hand..take them out of the situation, to the car and GO HOME!
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 9:53 PM on Feb. 14, 2013

• I think it would be nice if there were 2 seperate rooms, one room for childless couples or couples with older children, and then one room for couples with young children. Too many times we have tried to enjoy a meal in a restaurant & there be whinny, or loud or crying children around ruining our peaceful dinner
    mamabear484

Answer by mamabear484 at 5:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2013