A "Quiet Room" for fussy kids at a restaurant? Workable???

I was listening to the radio on the way to work this morning, and the DJs were talking about the pitfalls of taking children to nice restaurants. Sometimes a child will sit quietly through a meal without a problem, but other times there can be a meltdown of some type, and even the best behaved children can have their moments...

I think the topic started because some restaurants are either: 1. not allowing children in after a certain time, 2. giving parents a "reward" on their bill if their children sit quietly through the meal (a discount), or 3. asking the family to leave if the children are continuously unruly.

So, one of the DJs put out the idea that maybe these restaurants should have a "quiet room" where a parent can take a child who is upset, quiet them down away from the other diners, then return them to the table to finish the meal. What do you think? Would this work?

Nimue930

Asked by Nimue930 at 4:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• i thnk it is called in the car, or the restroom, to be honest when my kids were little and unable to understand, we just didn't take them, to have a whole room devoted to crabby kids, would most likely make me not visit there for a date, or with adult groups. It is just part of the price of having children, they don't go to adult places until they are able to behave, and if they can't, time to go!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I think it's unnecessary. Our quiet room was called the car and I had no problem taking my kids there if they were misbehaving in public, restaurant or otherwise (which was quite common with my oldest, he has autism and was he!! On wheels at 3-5.)

Answer by missanc at 4:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• While it might work, I don't know how many restaurants are going to be willing to invest in remodeling their building to accommodate a small group of people. Plus, you know there are going to be those who object to being segregated from the rest because of their kids. A nice idea, but I don't see it happening.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• You know I have heard all this and think it would be financially impractical.
    Hear is my take on unruley kids. If a parent has a child that is having a meltdown, they should have the courtessy after a short while of taking the child outside for a little bit to calm down. If they have issues and talk too loud, well that is life.If they are allowing their child to run throughout the resteraunt disturbing evryone else they should be asked to leave. Even a child with medical issues can be taught, restrained into staying at their own table.
    Here is the other side. How many times have you been in a resteraunt and a table is too boisterous (adults) so that you can not talk even to the person right next to you? Or the person on the phone who is talking loudly and insessently? Or the one playing the games and volume is turned up so you are constantly hearing the beeping or doodleydoodley do?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Awww. How awful. I would love a discount but would never want to be mad at my kid for not getting it. Or have a waiter be the judge of my child's behavior.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:30 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• If your kid is looking like there's going to be a problem, you take them to the car for some quiet, for a walk outside, or your leave. It's common sense.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:34 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Quiet room AKA a bathroom? If my son was unruly we would go to the bathroom and he would get a lecture there then his consequence when we got home. I find places that don't want kids a little unreasonable. I am really on the fence. How do they think the children will ever learn if we are taking them off to a different room all the time. I don't know, I could go on and on. I especially hate when the parents give the kids electronic devices and they are all on their own device and no one is interacting with anyone. I heard a woman who bought her 2yr old his own ipod so he wouldn't take hers all the time. Seriously? 2?

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:34 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Quiet room?? Yes Out side the restaurant and your car.

Answer by louise2 at 4:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I take mine outside or we leave. Easy peasy.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 5:01 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• The problem I see with this, aside from what Dardenella said about unruly adults, is that people's standards are different. Who will be the judge of when someone's kid needs to be taken to the "quiet room" to calm down? The wait staff? The manager? The other customers? Or the parent? What if the parent is sitting next to a grumpy old couple who tinks children should be seen and not heard, and the child is giggling and smiling, not really making a fuss? Or what if you get a mom who thinks her kid is an angel no matter what he does, and even though everybody around her thinks she should take her kid out, she doesn't do it? Who will settle disputes over whether a discount should be given or not? Should customers be forced to either leave or take their kids to the room, ois it their choice? How old are the kids when the "quiet room" is beyond them? What about hooting, swearing, obnoxious teenagers? And so on and so on.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2013