How do I train a puppy if I work?

I work 8-5 Monday through Friday. Anyone have any suggestions on how to train a puppy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Feb. 6, 2013 in Pets

• I would say crate training but 9 hours is a long time for a puppy to go in a crate. Maybe you should rethink the dog... poor thing. I hope you at are coming home for lunch.
    Anonymous

• Crate it when you're gone & plan on spending a lot of time with it once you are home. Set a timer for potty breaks, & make sure it gets lots of lovings & play time for all that pent up energy. And enjoy those puppy breath kisses! :0

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:45 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• a crate. Talk to the trining staff at your pet smart or pet co or whaever. Often they will have a one session potty training session but whether they do or not they will have good suggestions on exactly what to do and what size crate is needed.
    Most dogs will not mess where they lay but every bladder has its limit.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:47 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• You can only crate the dog his age in months plus one.... so if the puppy is 3 months old you can only safely leave it in the crate for 4 hours... you either need help or it's not time for a dog yet!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Do you hold your pee from 8-5?
    Anonymous

• Sorry I should have elaborated. The new house my son and I moved to has a doggy door leading to the back yard which is fenced all the way around. I wanted to know how to train the dog to go outside and not inside. I also wanted to know how to train a puppy in general. I have never trained a dog before. The last dog I had was a family pet when I was a child. I just remember how much fun it was to run around and grow up with a dog. I want my son to have the same experience. He is six years old. Thanks for the suggestions ladies but I don't think I could crate the poor thing. I want it to have fun playing in our spacious backyard.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I had my puppy with your same situation. I had a small hard floor kitchen. I bought a long gate to keep the puppy in the kitchen while at work - couldn't get into trouble but had room to play. EVERY single day I had to clean up pee and poo (she didn't understand that potty pads were for potty time, not to shred to small bits) and give her a bath and wash her bed. It was quite troublesome and exhausting. We spend the evenings playing and training and did puppy school too (this helped for learning commands). The housebreaking took far longer than it should have if I were home. She was a wonderful dog! I got her selfishly, I know, but I was going through a divorce and she brought so much happiness. She was an absolute lover dog! She died at the young age of 5 - got an autoimmune blood disorder (she destroyed her own healthy red blood cells). I sure do miss her!
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• puppies are far to young to be outdoors on their own
    1) they could get into something harmful
    2) they could get stuck somewhere and you would be home to help them (happened to my adolescent puppy. We were HOME and thought she got out, couldn't find her for hours - calling and calling). Turns out she got up in the raised planter and got her head stuck in some vines. The gardener found her that afternoon. SUPER scary - she could have been strangled if she struggled anymore).
    3) Hawks like small dogs for lunch
    4) You train them to go potty outside by taking them out every 30minutes to 1hour and saying, "go potty", waiting a few minutes, then bringing them back inside. They eventually understand the correlation. ONLY then do they use the doggy door to go outside to go potty.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 5:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Should I wait til I take my 3 week vacation to get the puppy? That way I can be home to train her about the indoor and outdoor stuff? Hopefully at the end of that she can be somewhat trained when I go to work?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Put the crate so that the only place it leads out to is through the doggy door! You may have to come up with something, but they won't pee where they sleep (most of the time) I wouldn't wait for vacation, then he will have seperation anxiety when you go back, better to get the dog, have him for awhile then take vacation.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 6:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2013