Ear plugs for toddler with tubes

My son is 2 1/2 and got tubes in both ears on Friday. The DR said he has to wear ear plugs while he is in the tub. I was wondering what kind people use that the kids don't mind. I got one cheap pair on the way home from the hospital and he hates them, he ususally loves bath time and now doesn't even want to take a bath cause he has to put them in. Thanks for the help!

MommytoBe987

Asked by MommytoBe987 at 4:56 PM on Feb. 6, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What kind did you get him? Kids are probably better off with a foam based ear plug as opposed to silicone.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:00 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Growing up I had tube in, tubes out a total of like 10 times.

I was told that it'd be smart for the rest of my life to wear earplugs in the water, pool/tub. I used cotton balls in the tub they are soft I never laid my head back into the water.

In the swim pool I should have worn the plugs but they hurt my ears they were sensitive/still are, I can't wear the ear head phones that go into my ear. (something to keep in mind)

He might not want to wear them because of the discomfort. I would really try the cotton balls (split into small pieces that fit), and a cup of water, then when you pull the balls out you can feel if you are getting any traces of water into the ear.

One extra tip coming from someone who had horrible childhood ear problems, when kids have ear aches one of the heaven sent reliefs I've had was my mom would get a warm/hot cloth and put it on the hurt ear. Felt better than medicine! Good luck
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 5:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Our Dr. Made the ear plug to fit my daughter's ears.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:09 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• My mom found ones when my brother was little that were almost like a chunk of bubble gum - she just pushed it slightly into his outer ear, formed it to make a seal, and he was good. It was kind of a waxy substance. I've seen similar ones like at Wal-Mart, and that's probably where she got them too. You could check sporting good stores too for other kinds.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 5:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• My doctor had ear plugs made that fit into my ears. I know they make mold-able ones as well. (that is what my mom got when I lost the ones the doctor made)

As for sensitivity. I had tubes put in three times as a child. I do not suffer from sensitivities issues. I was also never told to wear ear plugs for the rest of my life and I have not had ear problems since I was 8 years old (30 years ago).

But I do agree, the warm compresses felt the best!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• cotton balls with just a bit of mineral oil are good enough for hair washing. Other than that we got on of these.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Thank you all for the comments. I really appreciate it. We ended up ordering a pair made for him. I can't seem to keep him from putting his head under water and having the ones they made will really help keep water out.
    MommytoBe987

Comment by MommytoBe987 (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2013