Learning to talk

Do girls learn quicker then boys? I know I shouldn't compare but my friend had her daughter 9 days after my son and she is already saying a bunch of words like up, please, birdie, bubbles. And my son still just says mama and dada. He hums a lot and makes soundsand understands everything we say just no other words.

wifey000175554

Asked by wifey000175554 at 6:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Each child is completely different. They will all eventually learn to talk- And then we'll be wishing they'd shut up! ; )
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 1:36 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Toddlers should have 3 words by 18 months but beyond that there is a wide range of typical speech. My 2 girls were more talkative than my 3 boys but that may just be a generalization or a personality thing.

Answer by missanc at 8:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:51 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I don't know if it's really a difference in genders (I've never looked any research on this). I've known both boys and girls who talked early or late.. same goes for all the other milestones. You kind of hit it on the head when you said you shouldn't compare 2 different kids. They are just different kids! As long as your son understands what you are saying and seems to be learning in general, I wouldn't worry. Maybe he's just the kind of kid who likes to store up information before trying it out. He'll be talking soon enough.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 7:14 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I don't think it depends on the gender. I'm a firm believer in talking to your baby in a regular voice and reading to them. I read to my son when he was a baby and more so as he got older. Interaction is best as well, when your baby is ready to talk they are ready. I don't like to compare my child to others. They are unique in their own way.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 6:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• In my experience my DD talked earlier than her older brother, but he was severely speech delayed. Her younger brother began speaking at 9 months and pretty much hasn't stopped since, and he just turned 8.

I think it depends on the child just as much as the gender. It's in DS2's personality to "be on" and always chattering. DS1 is still fairly quiet and reserved at 15. And DD is just a teen girl and when she does talk it's a million miles an hour in sounds most commonly heard best by dogs.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:20 PM on Feb. 6, 2013