54 missing assignments? And we're only hearing about this NOW?

The following is an email from my youngest son's teacher. Technically he's 9 but he is 18-months mentally delayed and has an IEP due to a speech impediment making communication with him difficult. He also has ADHD, Mood Disorder and an anxiety disorder which were diagnosed by different doctors at Children's Hospital in Seattle. He's also under the care of a doctor and takes medication regularly for the ADHD and Mood Disorder. Keep this in mind when reading what the teacher sent us via email.

"I wanted to let you know that [reacted] is not doing his homework or getting his signatures. He had 54 missing assignments in January and failed to earn his AR points. This month is not looking much better. I have asked him to have you sign his yellow study skills form tonight, so that you can see that he is not doing his work. He is capable, but does not appear to be using his time wisely at home. He claims that he needs to clean his room and that takes too long. Can you tell me what might motivate him? If there is something more I can do here, it would be helpful to know."

We make sure he does his homework every night but I do know that there are days he forgets his binder at home and she has a strict "if it's not with him I won't accept it late even if you bring it five minutes after class starts" policy. She's said that to us in the past but if the assignement are done then she should accept it because 54 missing assignements is basically not turning in ANY homework in the 19 or so school days that made up January. THAT she is at fault for because after five assignements should have picked up the phone and CALLED US - but then again this is the same teacher who claims our contact info is wrong despite the fact the school nurse or school librarian can call us just fine.

Thoughts?

Edit: So I logged into the parent site that the school has set up today and his grades consists of six As, four Bs, 1 C and 2 Ds plus ONE F since January 8, 2013. I'm seeing for his homework grade he has January AR points 24/100 which is a F. If 1 point equals 1 assignment then he's missing 76 assigments which of course makes no sense since there were only 19 days or so in January. It's the teacher's job to make sure ALL the assignements and grades are listed in the parent site and so how can I know what he's missing if she's not updating the site?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• honestly, this is on you, too. yes, she should have contacted you much earlier about the missing assignments, yes she should give him a little (a LITTLE) slack on the turning it in policy. but why isnt he turning his homework in? why dont you make sure his binder is in his backpack before he leaves in the morning (he's only 9)? why dont you pick up the phone and call the teacher every Friday to see how your son did that week, check in? you say she says your number doesnt work, so use her number. why dont you contact the principal and see if your son would do better with a different teacher? it is not her fault your son didnt turn in any work for the month of January, its your son's. so be the parent & make the changes that need to happen so that he gets his homework turned in on time.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:34 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• " "if it's not with him I won't accept it late even if you bring it five minutes after class starts"

Sounds like the science teacher my son had for the first semester of seventh grade. I knew we'd have trouble with her when she announced during back to school night that she'd already told the students she was the Queen Bee. She also taught via worksheet and not much else. What was normally his best class became his worst class. I had to do a lot of arguing with the school counselor to get him changed to another teacher, but they transferred him in the spring semester and his grade skyrocketed back to an easy A.

Time to be the Mama Bear!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:46 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I would be asking for another teacher.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 12:29 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Is it in the IEP that if 5 assignments are not turned in the teacher is to call you? Just wondering.
    At our schools we have all the assignments on line so that any parent can log into their child's page and find out what the assignments are and what has not been turned in. If you do not have this stronglt suggest it to the principal and the board. It is an amazing too. The same site has teachers manning the board to help with homework questions. This is at all grade levels.

Back to your son if it is not in his IEP she holds him accountable in the same way as any of her other students. If he has not been delivering her notesm which seems to be suggested then no she should not have to accept them for grades. I made my children do the work and turn it in, knowing they would get no credit for the work.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:49 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I agree with okmanders. Unless it is in his IEP, you have no right to bitch if he is treated like any other kid in the class. If you want special privileges because of his disorder, you need to make them available to him.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:45 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• My oldest son (15) has ADHD and my youngest daughter (11). My daughter never had a problem with turning in homework, but my son always did. He had a teacher in middle school that would wait until Michael had almost 30 missing assignments before she would contact me. My son does not have an IEP but qualified for a 504 plan. One thing we had written in the 504 plan was for the teacher to contact me when he had 5 missing assignments and to keep him in the after school tutoring program or D-Hall at lunch to complete them. This teacher just wouldn't follow the 504 Plan. I had to keep calling the principal. You do need to be proactive and you do need to find a way to motivate him to bring his homework home. He also had a planner that he would never use. I had told him that if he did not use his planner (filled out), his homework, and materials needed to complete his homework he wasn't allowed to play xbox for a week.
    amberraejones

Answer by amberraejones at 2:27 AM on Feb. 16, 2013

• Set up a meeting with all of them
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 10:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2014