54 missing assignments? And we're only hearing about this NOW?

The following is an email from my youngest son's teacher. Technically he's 9 but he is 18-months mentally delayed and has an IEP due to a speech impediment making communication with him difficult. He also has ADHD, Mood Disorder and an anxiety disorder which were diagnosed by different doctors at Children's Hospital in Seattle. He's also under the care of a doctor and takes medication regularly for the ADHD and Mood Disorder. Keep this in mind when reading what the teacher sent us via email.

"I wanted to let you know that [reacted] is not doing his homework or getting his signatures. He had 54 missing assignments in January and failed to earn his AR points. This month is not looking much better. I have asked him to have you sign his yellow study skills form tonight, so that you can see that he is not doing his work. He is capable, but does not appear to be using his time wisely at home. He claims that he needs to clean his room and that takes too long. Can you tell me what might motivate him? If there is something more I can do here, it would be helpful to know."

We make sure he does his homework every night but I do know that there are days he forgets his binder at home and she has a strict "if it's not with him I won't accept it late even if you bring it five minutes after class starts" policy. She's said that to us in the past but if the assignement are done then she should accept it because 54 missing assignements is basically not turning in ANY homework in the 19 or so school days that made up January. THAT she is at fault for because after five assignements should have picked up the phone and CALLED US - but then again this is the same teacher who claims our contact info is wrong despite the fact the school nurse or school librarian can call us just fine.

Thoughts?

Edit: So I logged into the parent site that the school has set up today and his grades consists of six As, four Bs, 1 C and 2 Ds plus ONE F since January 8, 2013. I'm seeing for his homework grade he has January AR points 24/100 which is a F. If 1 point equals 1 assignment then he's missing 76 assigments which of course makes no sense since there were only 19 days or so in January. It's the teacher's job to make sure ALL the assignements and grades are listed in the parent site and so how can I know what he's missing if she's not updating the site?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• ask for another teacher?
    Anonymous

• Is this an ongoing thing with your son? Has he not been turning things in all along in his school career? If this is completely new, which I suspect is not, then it is the teacher's fault. If this has been an ongoing issue, then you are also at fault for not checking in with her to see his progress.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:51 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• You need to setup an Iep meeting and have the principle present.mat the end of the day she doesn't have to accept late homework. Why doesn't he have an agenda, every kid I know that has an Iep has to bring home his agend with assignments listed. Why Rent you in better communication with the teachers? I email my sons teachers every week , you need to be just as proactive
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:51 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Well after homework is done my dd knows to put her folder into her backpack so she doesn't have a chance to forget it. Maybe y can work this into your nightly routine. You're going to have to start helping him be more responsible. I'd just let the teacher know when he doesn't turn in homework to call me and not wait until the homework starts adding up.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 8:52 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I sense some tension between you and the teacher. Also think that your son is playing you and his teacher. There is a strong possibility that the teacher may have sent notes home and they did not make it to you. There is also NO excuse for him to forget his binder at home several times a month. You need to teach him responsibility in making sure he has his supplies, homework, and clothes ready for the next day before he goes to bed. You also need to schedule a meeting with the teacher and both of you need to get on the same page. Form some type of daily or weekly communication where you know if his assignments have been turned in and his AR points are being earned. Does you school have some type of system where you can look online at the grades and what has been turned in?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:53 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• One of the symptoms of ADD/ ADHD is not remembering to turn in the work. We still struggle with it and the teen boy.
    Perhaps one of those agenda binders where teacher signs it right before school is let out and you sign it at home and teacher and you check it daily
    but the teacher (who know the diagnosis) will have to be active and may have to check the backpack for it. just like you. we have had to have teachers physically put it in the bag and remind kid to put the bag on...

Also call a meeting with teacher and counselor perhaps principal and go over procedures.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:54 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• And if she's sending home papers for you to sign, because hes missing homework, she is being proactive somewhat. If he's not giving these to you I don't k ow how upset I'd be other than why she never called.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 8:55 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• You have an IEP and you don't have this addressed??

1) Demand an IEP meeting IMMEDIATELY
    2) Insist that you child gets extra time to complete assignments
    3) Insist on weekly updates

Put all of this in your IEP
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:13 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• If she knows that he has an IEP then she should have made sure to bring it to your attention! This is unacceptable for a teacher to let that many things pass by and not say something to you or at least to your sons councelor! High time for a meeting with the teacher - she has some explaining to do! Not to mention she had better make sure to give him some kind of credit for make up grades.
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 9:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Call the assistant principal and demand a class change. My A honor roll son, sat in his 5th grad science class for 2 weeks and did nothing. I also received no phone call. I found out when it was progress report day. This teacher had even had a confrence with my husband before, talked to me on the phone & threw email. I would report her and change teachers. Oh and there have been several days we had to take stuff to school the kids left at home, or return to school for books or homework the kids fogot.
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 9:50 PM on Feb. 6, 2013