They have ALL kinds of abridged Classics for children!! Who knew?

First off, I LOVE classic's. Great Expectations is my number one favorite book of all time. I knoew they had several abridged versions of some classics like Pollyanna, Black Beauty and Tom Sawyer... but I found FABULOUS versions of Dracula, 2000 leagues under the Sea, Greek Myths, Great Expectations, The Odyssey and even War of the Worlds! My 8 year old son is currently in his room enthralled by The Time Machine by H. G. Wells. Something I never dreamed possible. I am so excited to introduce him to more classic books at a level he can handle!

Did you know they had these?

I know, I know, most of you are going to say 'Yeah- they have had those for years my 10 year old has already read half of those... and so on and so forth' but I am still excited. :0P lol.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 8:55 PM on Feb. 6, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I knew about it but completely forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:58 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I love those..... I devoured them when I was little. My DD & I just finished "A Little Princess"
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 8:58 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Yep... I knew. My kids go to a classical education school and their classroom libraries are full of them. And they study them through the year.

It is pretty cool to see them read those same books that their grandparents read while they were in school.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• No, I didn't. Do you have any links?
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Libras- Try "Illustrated Classic Editions"
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 9:03 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I found a whole section at Barns and Noble. I liked these.    And like I said I knew they had some of the more obviously 'kid friendly' stories but I had no idea they had the others.  DH wants to get him War of the Worlds and The Adventures o Sherlock Holmes next.

But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 9:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• I remember that McDonald's used to give them out when I was a kid. Man, that was over 30 years ago!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:09 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• Audio books are fun too.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:11 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• have a set called moby dick. they are smaller than the other books and easier for the kids to hold. i'm missing a few of them but my oldest has read almost all of h. g. wells we have. she read afew dickens storied too. and she loves the three musketeers.

she's just turned 11 and she's singed up for the book it reading program through school. the cbs news crew is going to be visiting the school with the highest reading record and she wants it to be her school.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 11:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2013

• i still have some from when i was a kid and cant wait to share them w/ DD! books are awesome!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:36 AM on Feb. 7, 2013