Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Button batteries are very dangerous for small children.

Common sense, but I thought this story was worth passing along anyway. There's a link to the video and also a shortened version of the story below.

http://www.9news.com/news/article/315276/188/Button-batteries-very-dangerous-to-young-children


ARVADA, CO- Five-year-old Carter Beilman is just like most children his age. He loves to play with toys and he is inquisitive.

The combination of the two landed him in a hospital emergency room.

Carter was playing with one of his favorite toys, a Hexbug. It is a small bug-like toy that has a tiny battery in it that allows it scoot around like a bug. Carter figured out a way to remove that battery and later told his mom he wanted to see if the battery would fit into his nose.

It did, but then he couldn't get it out.

"He came over to me and said, 'mom I have a battery in my nose,'" Carter's mom Marigny Beilman said.

When they weren't able to get the battery out themselves, Marigny, a registered nurse, immediately called their family doctor who instructed them to go to the emergency room.

"Everybody just kept asking, 'well how long has it been in there? When did this happen?'" says Beilman.

The reason for those questions is very simple.

"If they swallow or put a battery in their nose, or at least you think they did, you need to act right away. Within three hours it can start eating away at the tissue and causing an ulcer. Within 24 hours it can hit the bone and kill the bone. So this is what we call a medical emergency," 9 Health Reporter Dr. John Torres said.

Doctors were able to remove the battery from Carter's nose.

"At just barely two hours, it had already started to corrode in his nose and I was just shocked at that point," Beilman said. "The doctor told me that they had actually had a three-year-old die after ingesting a battery."

"It can cause death, and it has caused death," Dr. Torres said.

 
Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:04 AM on Feb. 7, 2013 in General Parenting

Level 45 (193,996 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • My dd has hexbugs, and lots of other toys with those button batteries. I am pretty impressed that little boy was able to get the battery cover off, those screws are tiny! I am always concerned about those tiny batteries and just want to mention that disposing of the old button batteries be done with safety in mind. That is a real problem because they are not enclosed in a toy any more, super dangerous!!
    tessiedawg

    Answer by tessiedawg at 7:42 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

  • Don't leave your vibrating cock rings laying around and this won't happen!!
    PartyGalAnne

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

  • ya think??
    Crafty26

    Answer by Crafty26 at 12:18 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

  • Why wouldn't the mother take away the battery immediately, when son asked if it would fit up his nose??!!??

    I know you can't answer that but just talking out loud. Face palm!
    PMSMom10

    Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:09 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

  • Oh wow. Is this just button batteries or all batteries that do this?
    staciandababy

    Answer by staciandababy at 1:42 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

  • The way I read it, I got the impression Mom wasn't there when he got the battery out, and after he stuck it up his nose, when he found Mom, he told her he wanted to see if it would fit up his nose. Kinda sounds like something one of my boys would do - which is why (when they were littler, now they're old enough that I just tell them don't do stupid crap like that! lol) I would frequently check the covers on their battery operated toys, tighten the screws really well, and kept a pretty close eye on them when they played with that kind of stuff.
    wendythewriter

    Answer by wendythewriter at 7:32 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

  • partgalanne you made me spill my coffee LOL thanks for the giggle
    san78

    Answer by san78 at 6:59 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

  • Well, it seemed obvious to me, too, but clearly there are parents out there--registered nurses even--who haven't thought this through. The video showed what the battery did to a hot dog after being stuck inside for three hours, just so viewers would know what happened to soft tissue, and it was pretty ugly. I had a childhood friend who burned his throat and stomach by sucking on a battery, but at least the battery wasn't stuck inside his body somewhere. Those were the days before most kids' toys got the screw-on type battery covers.
    Ballad

    Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 1:30 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

  • Is this just button batteries or all batteries that do this?

    No batteries would be good for soft tissue, but the button kind are more easily ingested or stuck in little noses or ears. I don't know if the button batteries corrode more quickly than others.
    Ballad

    Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 2:10 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN