Lutheran pastor chastised for participating in Sandy Hook prayer vigil...because it wasn't all-Lutheran

Pastor apologizes for role in prayer vigil after Connecticut massacre

Is a vigil the same as worship?  Is participating in an inter-faith assembly to acknowledge a tragedy an implicit endorsement of the assorted faiths of everyone else who attends?

Also, he's not the first - a Lutheran pastor who participated in a 9/11 memorial was also disciplined and refused to apologize, so they threw him out for a few years.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:23 AM on Feb. 7, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Some people will always find fault with anything. This doesn't sound like any Luthern church I've ever known, and I know a lot of practicing Lutherns.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:19 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Then it's an individual issues. This is NOT normal Lutheran practice.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 6:08 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Finally read the article. The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod is not a "national level that oversees all Lutheran churches".
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 6:20 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• this is crazy. and i agree with ballad about this being what drives people away from organized religion.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:35 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Really?? These church's need to get their shit together and stop driving people away. Pretty soon their businesses, I mean church's will be empty and they will have no funds coming in.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:12 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Maecntpntz is right.  The Missouri Synod does not oversee all Lutheran Churches.  They are but a single body, affiliated with the ILC, which is also just one of three larger affiliations of Lutheran Churches.

Here is a list of Lutheran Church bodies in North America. It's not like the Catholic church where everything revolves around the Pope.  I was looking for the one our churches were affiliated with, but couldn't remember.  I do recall my parents being upset when one of the churches we belonged to started playing more modern, less traditional, music.  They decided it was because they joined the wrong flavor of Lutheran Church, and looked for one more like what they were used to in our previous town.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:16 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Anyway, it's ridiculous that that particular branch of the Lutheran Church would be upset that a minister participated in the vigil.  I mean, it's not like it was a secular vigil . . . there were supplications to the same god, just different versions of him.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:17 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Wow that is just crazy
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 10:20 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• is the problem that Muslims and Jews were participating or is the problem that other denominations were involved, or both?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:38 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I don't know much about the Lutheran denomination. But I will say that what they did here wasn't Biblical. If we are believers in Christ we are all part if the "body of Christ." So, all the denominations that are squabbling over differences, we all are supposed to be Christ first.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 7, 2013