Lutheran pastor chastised for participating in Sandy Hook prayer vigil...because it wasn't all-Lutheran

Pastor apologizes for role in prayer vigil after Connecticut massacre

Is a vigil the same as worship?  Is participating in an inter-faith assembly to acknowledge a tragedy an implicit endorsement of the assorted faiths of everyone else who attends?

Also, he's not the first - a Lutheran pastor who participated in a 9/11 memorial was also disciplined and refused to apologize, so they threw him out for a few years.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:23 AM on Feb. 7, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Just as the Catholic church and I assume evry other church has had Popes/leaders who were not the best people to have in those positions and they made made many bad decisions. It is the person(s) who are wrong not the entire group o XYZ believers or their basic beliefs.
    I am sure that whatever you are if you dig you will find at least some evidence of this. If you are atheist you have scientists the declared things that we know to be wrong.

In the end it is the person who is wrong/ bad.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• If we are believers in Christ we are all part if the "body of Christ."

Perhaps that's the problem that the Missouri Synod had with the pastor participating in this vigil - not everyone participating is a believer in Christ.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 1:18 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• In the end it is the person who is wrong/ bad.

I don't know why people are so desperate to make excuses for this - it's not the first time it's happened. It's not some rogue guy with an office randomly laying down the law.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• This is rediculous, I'm sure it's safe to say that not every child was Lutheran in that school. Even if religious leaders of all faith gathered to pray what's the big deal? That's what's wrong with this world... When you see people so devided that even coming together in a time of tragedy gets some type of negativity. This is a time where we should be open to grieve with any and every one, and not base who we pray, cry, hug, help on race, religion, gender or sexuality. I would have not apologized I really wish he didnt.

Imo you don't compromise your faith in a situation like this. I just have to add look who Jesus associated with, look who he taught, who he showed kindness to. Most Christians say be Christ like, well being a snob is the opposite
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 2:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Yet another reason for me to dislike organized religion. There is no excuse for this behavior, and people need to stop making excuses.

It really makes no sense to me. I would think that, if anything, the church leadership would see this as an opportunity to spread God's word. Since when do Christians see spreading the good word as a bad thing? So there were other denominations and other beliefs there? Couldn't that be seen as a way to share with those people what you really believe? Isn't that a big part of Christianity? Not that I condone using a prayer vigil and tragedy to convert people, but I'm just saying that their line of thinking seems to be opposite of what they supposedly preach.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I'm not making excuses, I'm pointing out that you can't say this is a "Lutheran" issue. That's like generalizing all people of one group because of a few dumbasses within an organization. I don't care how many times it has happened, this is not "Lutheran" policy. The asshole is question was Lutheran, does not mean all Lutherans follow this belief. Because of your post, you have people commenting things like "Oh I'd never be Lutheran" etc. and while I don't care what anyone would or wouldn't be religiously or otherwise you can't make a statement that puts blame on all people of that group because it makes all Lutherans look bad, and that isn't the case. I'm not even very religious but if I had to associate myself with a Christian denomination it would be Lutheranism, and I and every Lutheran I know would this something like this is just downright absurd.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• this is not "Lutheran" policy.

No, it is "Lutheran" policy. You just don't like it. You don't get to denounce an entire branch of the Lutheran church as "not real Lutheran" any more than Methodists get to denounce all of the Lutheran branches as "not real Christian" because they're not Methodists. There are Roman Catholics and Charismatic Catholics. Charismatic Catholics do a LOT of things Roman Catholics disagree with, but that doesn't give them the right or the power to say the CC's aren't Catholic.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I invite you to research the different policies and organizations within "Lutheranism". They are not all the same and some are almost polar opposites. The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod is on the extreme conservative end. While I still don't know much about what they believe or practice, I know that they are not even the largest organization within Lutheranism. Most Lutheran churches in the United States are not affiliated with The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod. I'm sure there are also probably several churches that ARE affiliated with the LCMS who would still think this policy is asinine. While it may not be "some rogue guy in an office randomly laying down the law" it is certainly not one person or one group demonstrating the official belief and/or policy among the majority of Lutherans in this country.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:19 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• It is not Lutheran policy, because then it would be the policy enforced by all Lutherans and unless you have practiced Lutheranism in every form and in every church in the world, you have no grounds for fact. It may be the policy for a specific Lutheran church, but it is NOT the policy of all Lutherans. It is most definitely not the policy of MY Lutheran church.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:21 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• And I didn't say they weren't "real" Lutherans. If anything, I said they were a "different type" of Lutheran. My point being that you can't generalize all Lutherans to be a group of ignorant people believe in this absurd policy.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 7, 2013