Lutheran pastor chastised for participating in Sandy Hook prayer vigil...because it wasn't all-Lutheran

Pastor apologizes for role in prayer vigil after Connecticut massacre

Is a vigil the same as worship?  Is participating in an inter-faith assembly to acknowledge a tragedy an implicit endorsement of the assorted faiths of everyone else who attends?

Also, he's not the first - a Lutheran pastor who participated in a 9/11 memorial was also disciplined and refused to apologize, so they threw him out for a few years.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:23 AM on Feb. 7, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Was it the ELCA or Missouri synod?

Missouri
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I am very surprised. Was it the ELCA or Missouri synod?
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:18 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• By stating it was a policy among all Lutherans that's exactly what you did

Oh ffs, I never said that - I said it was a national policy, meaning it was not an isolated, individual pastor or isolated individual church, as some people (like you) kept trying to suggest. But keep reading what you want to read and insisting you're done while you keep coming back.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• By stating it was a policy among all Lutherans that's exactly what you did. And it does apply to me, as I associate myself with Lutheranism. Thank you :)
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:55 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I just suggest you be more careful when generalizing all people of a certain group before you make yourself look as ignorant as the incident you have in question.

I never did any such thing. I suggest you be less sensitive about things that don't apply to you.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• It is not the policy of the majority of Lutheran churches, and I repeat I don't care how many times it has happened. I'll put it in layman's terms -some mother's spank, some don't. Is spanking the policy of ALL mothers? Should spanking be associated with motherhood and should it be assumed that because you are a mother you believe in spanking? I'm pretty much done expressing my opinion on this outrageous matter, I just suggest you be more careful when generalizing all people of a certain group before you make yourself look as ignorant as the incident you have in question.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:41 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• It is most definitely not the policy of MY Lutheran church.

That's nice. It still doesn't turn it into some isolated incident like you've been trying to paint it.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• There is a difference between the term "Lutheran policy" and "A Lutheran policy". That is my point.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:23 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• And I didn't say they weren't "real" Lutherans. If anything, I said they were a "different type" of Lutheran. My point being that you can't generalize all Lutherans to be a group of ignorant people believe in this absurd policy.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• It is not Lutheran policy, because then it would be the policy enforced by all Lutherans and unless you have practiced Lutheranism in every form and in every church in the world, you have no grounds for fact. It may be the policy for a specific Lutheran church, but it is NOT the policy of all Lutherans. It is most definitely not the policy of MY Lutheran church.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:21 PM on Feb. 7, 2013