Lutheran pastor chastised for participating in Sandy Hook prayer vigil...because it wasn't all-Lutheran

Pastor apologizes for role in prayer vigil after Connecticut massacre

Is a vigil the same as worship?  Is participating in an inter-faith assembly to acknowledge a tragedy an implicit endorsement of the assorted faiths of everyone else who attends?

Also, he's not the first - a Lutheran pastor who participated in a 9/11 memorial was also disciplined and refused to apologize, so they threw him out for a few years.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:23 AM on Feb. 7, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Oh for CRYING. OUT. LOUD.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 12:26 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• That's just ridiculous!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:31 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I am not Lutheran so I have nothing to say concerning his faith or the rules he is to live by.

Anywhere that prayers are said is worship. Obviously public worship is any time you are praying alone ot with a group publicly.

The worship service or mass is not the same.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:35 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• **sigh*** And I had my son baptized by a Lutheran minister.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:36 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I was baptized and raised Lutheran and we still attend a Lutheran church where my son attends preschool. I've never heard of anything so asinine. This is not the norm for Lutherans.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:40 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• some things overstep the stupid rules of man...this would be a very obvious one. stupid actions like this would make me search for another denomination.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:43 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• PS our church and pastors so many mission trips to 3rd world country to volunteer at places like children's hospitals and battered women's shelters. While they do prayers there, they dont try to convert anyone and help any and everyone they can without question of religious affiliation. Same goes for any prayer vigils, etc. they attend or host. The church in question is what has issues, not the religion/demonimation.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:50 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Which church does God go to?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:02 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• The church in question is what has issues, not the religion/demonimation.

This didn't come from an individual church - this is from the national level that oversees all of the Lutheran churches.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:08 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Stupid s**t like that is what makes a lot of people,who consider themselves spiritual or even Christian, walk away from organized religion. To say that someone, anyone, couldn't have participated in a prayer vigil to support grieving families after a tragedy like the one that happened in Connecticut is absurd and insane, and I bet God is shaking his head in disgust like I am.

But it's not a Lutheran problem; it's a "my group is better than yours" problem, and it exists in some form in all religions, races, countries, schools, and any other social configurations involving human beings.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:48 AM on Feb. 7, 2013