That's a lot of critters! adult content

An infant was in a home with 298 animals that were being bred and sold without proper licensing. The parents face charges. It's one of those things you have to see to believe, and even then you just shake your head. Where's the line between the right to do what you want in your own castle and just plain going too far?

Link to USA Today video:

/1814311/

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:43 AM on Feb. 7, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I knew someone much like this when I lived in Florida. I worked with her. She always smelled so bad and probably due to the fact that she and her husband kept more than 75 pets in their single wide. After leaving that job (as a long term temp), I ran into her at the local animal shelter when DH and I were looking for a dog. She was looking to adopt even more animals. I had tried to look at state laws to find out if she was breaking any laws with regard to how many animals she kept but the laws weren't clear and she didn't have a HOA to contend with. Someone (likely a neighbor of hers) reported her to the ASPCA and they opened a case and wanted them to prove clean and safe environment for the animals. Not sure how that went down.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:28 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Animal hoarding and improper breeding is the pits! Not fair for the animals or the children unfortunate enough to be in the "care" of those selfish enough and unbalanced enough to do this.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:06 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Where the law states. Most cities have a maximum number of animals that you are allowed to have at one residence.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:55 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Ughhhhhh. I have seen some situations that have been just so disgusting it is hard to believe that humans were living in those houses.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I have a friend who breeds parrots, and she's fully licensed in the city where she lives. She has 180 or so birds in her house--I know, it's insane--but everything's legal. Oh, and four terriers. No kids, though. So maybe the laws can be complex for breeders, but still. Eeeww!
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 1:39 AM on Feb. 7, 2013