Trying to help a friend thats TTC

Hello,
My friend has been trying to conceive with her husband for about a year now. She doesn't want to be on any prescription things to help so i'm wondering if there were any natural things that you guys could recommend for her? I suggested she get FertilAid but wasn't sure if there was anything else she could try.

clarasmommy08

Asked by clarasmommy08 at 12:56 AM on Feb. 7, 2013 in Trying to Conceive

• Before looking for something to help, she first needs to know why she isn't getting pregnant. Has she had any fertility testing done? If the problem is with him, her taking something is not going to help. If the problem is with her, him taking something is not going to help. If the problem is one thing and you are taking something to help something that it isn't, then obviously that is not going to help.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:08 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• She said her periods are irregular, but as i said, doesn't want to be put on birth control or any of that to help them be regular. i'm looking for all natural solutions (answers)
    clarasmommy08

Comment by clarasmommy08 (original poster) at 1:12 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• There are no natural solutions to help get pregnant.

Stress and worrying about wanting to get pregnant could be hindering her.
    Just tell her to give up on wanting kids and before she knows it, she'll be pregnant.
    That's what I did and it took me 3 years to conceive.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:15 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I was given a couple of tips when I struggled with infertility. Keep the man inside for at least two or three minutes after intercourse, or preferably longer if he is able. The semen will thicken in the woman's body after a few minutes and less will run out when the man pulls away. Elevate your hips on pillows so that gravity works for you; stay still for at least a half hour. Have sex every other day. Not every day, which can deplete the sperm count, but don't get the man to "save up" sperm for ovulation time. The more he gets rid of, the more he makes. I don't know if these tips will work, or how true they even are, but they were given to me by a medical doctor, who also suggested getting more soy in the diet, and trying Chaste-berry, now sold as Vitex, or evening primrose oil. She also recommended Robittussin, which thins out mucus, including cervical mucus, and makes it slippery and easier for sperm to swim in.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:16 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I know Yams help regulate periods. I've also heard of cohash helps (I think that's how it's spelled...probably Google can help you on that).

^^ That is assuming her cycles are not irregular due to medical reasons ^^
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:18 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I agree, she really needs to know why she's having problems. It's not necessarily that she needs to go on a prescription medication, but she needs to find a reason. At the very least, she should have hormone tests and possibly a preovulatory ultrasound to see if something is out of whack. I had low progesterone when I was trying to get pregnant the last time, so it didn't matter if I conceived because even if I did, I couldn't stay pregnant. It was a simple fix for me, and I was able to get pregnant and stay pregnant a month after we figured out the problem.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:24 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Has she read "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Wechsler? I too had irregular periods and that book made ALL the difference in the world. Pregnant first try using the book's charting method... and we only attempted ONCE that month!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:27 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Tell her to head for www.fertilityfriend.com (it's free) to learn how to track her cycle and pinpoint ovulation. Also remind her that, if there IS a problem that it might not stem fro her. In 1/3 of cases it's the woman, in 1/3 of cases it's the man and in 1/3 of cases it's a combination of both.

Until she finds out why she's not getting pregnant there is no point wasting her money.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:19 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• when dh and i went to the dr he told me not to waste my money on aids to help conceive, he said lets see why and now im going thru all the tests
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:30 AM on Feb. 10, 2013