How can i tell my daughter im leaving for Afghanistan training without her crying everyday? i want her to feel comfortable with her father still

I am going to Afghanistan may of 2014 but we have to start training now in order to be ready. my biggest fear is of my daughter and with me missing her. me and my husband told her the best easiest way. she still cry. is it common to train now when u deploy may 2014?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Feb. 7, 2013 in Military

• When my son went to Iraq on his second tour, he was AF, he had to go to Ft Benning, GA for 4 weeks to get a mini basic training from the Army. He was sent over with an Army Unit.
    His first tour, it was just a matter of his number being drawn.
    Every branch is different.
    Do you have to go away for training or are you just training where you're at now?
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:09 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• My husband has been training non stop since he joined the Army in 2005, so yes training this early is normal. Better to be prepared for any and all situations while you are here and can fix any mistakes rather than over there and people getting killed.
    And OPSEC, don't post your possible deployment dates for the world to see.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:10 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• As far as your daughter, it'll be hard for her. Maybe you can invest in Skype, that way she can see you when you call and know that you're alright.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:11 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• i went fort Leonard wood and im in the national guard stationed here in my city where i locally live but this is the only army base but i finished AIT in Missouri at Fort
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:13 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• communication is different now.... our equipment is ugh..only use facebook...i knew you had to leave early around this month for training...i wasnt for sure because if they started training next year in 2014 omgg a tragic
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:14 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• How old is your daughter? Age will make a big difference in what she will understand.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:22 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• 9
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• You told her what you job with the national guard entailed before this right? You have prepared her that you might have to leave for a while to train an possibly be deployed. If you have that already there as a basis, then, remind her of all you told her and tell her it is now your turn to go. Tell here you wanted to tell her now so that you could enjoy as much of your time together as possible and make memories to last until you get back home. Take lots ofpictures and maybe make a scrapbook. Investigate how skype will work where you will be and get things set before you go. There will always be tears. Our kids do not want us to spend the night somewhere else and will cry if we do.
    Keep emphacizing, when you get back
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:34 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• thank you so much
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:40 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• 9 is old enough to understand, if you already told her about your job with the Army. That you might have to go train every once in a while. Even kids of active duty personel have a hard time with this.

Answer by louise2 at 6:48 AM on Feb. 7, 2013