We all know texting & driving is bad, but...

How is reading a text any different than reading a billboard?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 8:15 AM on Feb. 7, 2013 in Technology

• When reading a billboard and texting come into play. Well i agree with you,there really is not a difference theyre both distractions. BUT texting and reading the bill board are both upto the driver to look at. Txting you can ignore and silent it and billboard has nothing screaming out to you to look at it. Bill board usually have to look a little up or is at the same level of sight and huge lettering. Txting usually look down and have to pay attention to the phone to read the small imprint. Either way they both should not be down. I usually turn off my phone or put it on vibe, if i need it, i turn off to side or wait for a red light. Driving is not ment to multi task its ment to get from point a to point b.
    Morbidprincess

Answer by Morbidprincess at 8:58 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Billboards are in my sight range, I'm not looking down fumbling around trying to read and type. I don't text and drive my life, my kids life & those m driving with are more important then a stupid text message.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:22 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• its a HUGE difference, and Billboard is infront of you or in your periphial (sp) view
    when you take your test you are supposed to be tested to make sure you are able to see things in the periphial view.

text is very small, most times you have to press keys etc to read them, a bill board you do nothing but look up or over for a second.

luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:25 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• My father wasnt killed by someone glancing at a billboard. He was killed by someone trying to read a text and drive but apparently the text caught his attention more than the red light he was about to run, killing a 64 year old man on his way to Thanksgivung dinner.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:25 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Is the billboard inside your car in your lap?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:16 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Billboards are along the road, where you're already looking anyway (you're supposed to scan the sides of the road for things that could suddenly be in front of you). Billboards also (typically) have HUGE print, as opposed to the tiny text on your phone, which makes it much easier to read. And you don't usually feel an urge to immediately fire off a response to a billboard, whereas most people do feel like they have to respond to every text right now, this second, can't wait - even when all the text said was "hi."
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:26 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

im so deeply sorry for your loss Iz. breaks my heart :( my condolences to you.

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:51 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Actually I've done three cross country trips and can say I've never seen a billboard that I couldn't read quickly because they're big. Maybe you need to roadtrip more lol
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:40 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I would love to see a smal billboard like that, if you take a picture and tell me where it is I will be more than happy to raise hell with the county about its potential danger to drivers.

luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:57 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• So stop reading billboards too.

Problem solved.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:06 AM on Feb. 7, 2013