What age do you think is ok for girls to wear makeup?

Just a little debate between me & my older sister. Ok- I only have boys & she has girls. I've been a single Mom since day 1, she however has been with her kids father since forever so that also changes things. I started wearing makeup right before I turned 14, just gloss, mascara, & some light foundation, but once I was 15, I started wearing shadows & liner which were still natural colors. Her & her kids father don't want there (early) teen daughters any makeup until after high school. They also won't allow them to wear "spaghetti" strap shirts, even in the summer. They also won't allow the girls to shave, & in middle school I think its ok, the girls have long underarm hair too. I think they are way too hard on the girls. I know I don't have daughters yet but I would let mine wear makeup as long as I preapproved it. Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Feb. 7, 2013 in Just for Fun

• why the hell wont they at least let them shave their underarm hair? those poor girls.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:20 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• make-up -16
    shaving- when the hair starts growing
    spaghetti straps -14
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:19 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Shaving should be allowed as soon as the girl feels self conscious about it. Why should any girl NOT be allowed to feel better about herself? Makeup, the same. What is wrong with a little lip gloss, eye shadow or blush even? I've never understood that stuff. I'm all for anything to make little girls feel better about themselves. You all remember how tough it is to be a little girl, correct?!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:41 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• 14 for makeup-gloss,mascara
    10 for shaving
    I wouldn't allow the spaghetti straps either,at least until 16 or so,too revealing

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Middle school, like 6th grade. But, not too extreme.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:08 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I'm with you. A little bit of make up as a young teen is ok. Especially if it's not at school. Spaghetti straps are a no-no at school and we discourage anything that doesn't properly cover a bra. Shaving has to happen when needed. My niece is dark haired and had more hair than some, so she started early at 11, but it was making her feel uncomfortable to be hairy. Why give a kid another hurdle when they are trying so hard to fit in at that age?
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:11 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• As far as the make-up part of it, that I say is all up to the maturity of the child. My dd (who is 5 and a half) gets into mine and plays with it, but it's only for fun and she doesn't wear it out of te house. For "every day" use, I may start letting her wear a natural shade of eyeshadow at maybe 12, depending on her maturity by then.
    As for the shaving, that is more a hygiene thing then a beauty thing. I remember, I started shaving under my arms at about 14, but not because my mom told me to wait. It was just cause my hair was short and light, so I didn't feel the need to shave. Now, my legs, I started at 12 since I had a tendency to wear shorts more often and the hair was more visible.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I don't have an issue with a little makeup in middle school. In high school...whatever she wants when we're not together—I would much rather have my DD express her individuality through her appearance than through acting out in a potentially dangerous manner. I certainly wouldn't want my elementary-school kid wielding a razor, but after that. I don't see WHAT the issue is with spaghetti straps. I mean, I don't wear them as an adult because I'd have to wear a strapless bra (OUCH), but if you don't have gazongas...
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:34 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• My daughter is 7 and obviously now it is not okay for her to wear make-up (unless playing dress-up or such). But I do find that your sister and her husband are too strict. I'd say 13/14...as long as it was just a small amount. All that strictness very well may lead to rebellion and that would make things so much worse.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:12 AM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I know schools have dress codes, no spaghetti shirts, but on summer break at home should be ok. my poor nieces lol.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Feb. 7, 2013