please help...

I am almost ready to stop BFing becuase I am sick of being used as a chew toy. It freakin hurts. I don't know what to do. I have tried everything and I mean everything.!! anybody gone thru this?

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 2:59 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I tapped the baby on the cheek and he stopped. I also popped my finger in the side of his mouth to break the suction. He learned not to bite.

Answer by Bmat at 3:11 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I agree with Bmat. I'm not at that stage yet with my dd, she chews because she is teething, she has no teeth though, but I've heard that if you break the suction wait about a minute and then allow them to relatch they will eventually learn that biting is NOT okay.... Please do not stop breastfeeding because of this, alot of mothers go through it, and it ends up being okay. Try either warm or cold packs on your nipples to help with the pain after BFing and maybe that will help.
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 3:16 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I've heard that when they bite your supposed to pull them in really close so that their nose is covered by your breast, they have to let go to breath and they learn quickly not to bite. I read that in the la leche 'womanly art of breastfeeding" Haven't experienced it myself yet, not sure if I could purposely cut off his air!
    wadesmum

Answer by wadesmum at 9:16 PM on Feb. 14, 2009