Dinner planning

What kind of planner are you, if any? Do you plan it down to the wire, with a specific meal including sides and dessert according to a set day? Planned the night or morning before? Figured out the hour before? Something I'm not inluding?

I plan a month's menu at a time, but it's really just a list. I go through the list in the morning to figure out that night's dinner based on what sounds good that day, and then something gets taken out of the freezer.

Ginger0104

Asked by Ginger0104 at 11:59 AM on Feb. 7, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I make a menu for the week and shop accordingly, once per week. Whatever sounds good is what I cook, so it's not planned on a per day basis.

I often get a happy stick up my arse and will go in there and whip something nifty up. Right now I'm toying with the idea of making a souffle for the girls' after school snack.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 12:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I purchase set meals in my mind for a few days (4-7) when I go grocery shopping. Then, unless it's something that requires a lot of prep, I'll let my girls decided what's for dinner that night. I'll usually give them 2 or 3 choices. Like would you rather have spaghetti or quesadillas tonight?

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• sometimes i plan for the week ahead, and others i don't know what i'm having til an hour before dinner is ready.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:05 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I make my list for 2 weeks worth of meals along with sides, but I don't write it as a menu as in Friday-Tacos Saturday-Pizza Sunday-Roast. It's kind of whatever I am feeling that day.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Weekly, I go to the store weekly so I make my dinner plans before I go shopping.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 12:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Weekly. I buy fresh fruit and vegetables every Monday.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I have a rough idea of what I'll fix for the next week when I shop. I try to plan for leftovers--Monday we had a roast for my boyfriend's birthday, so I cooked extra potatoes because tonight I'll use the leftovers to make roast beef hash. To further complicate things, my stepson is a very picky eater, so I have to plan around what he'll eat and when he's coming, which I don't always know till the day of. Then there's which nights my boyfriend makes deliveries after work, or has to work late, and my daughter doesn't like to wait till he gets home. Sometimes it all feels like rocket science, but the basic answer is that I buy stuff for the coming week based on what I have in the house that will work to make meals, and when I've gotten paid and expect to get paid again because I don't get regular weekly or biweekly checks.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:33 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I usually decide when I get hungry, or let DS decide when he gets home from school.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• sometimes i plan depends on my mood
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:08 AM on Feb. 8, 2013