Why dont we see more proof of this?

US Religion Map

linked above is The Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life's website. it shows a map of the US, showing by state the belief that one's faith is the only true faith. well according to them 70% of Americans believe that many religions can lead to eternal life. so why dont we see more proof of this belief? or is it that the other 24% have the power and are so dang loud?

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 3:06 PM on Feb. 7, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Unfortunately when you cross the "many paths can lead to eternal life' with the "belief in a one true god" you see the reasoning. Because tehy don't care what religion you believe, as long as it's Christian. In other words it's denomination that they are referring to in the "many paths" question and not different religions.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I just looked my state up and it says 3% of my state doesn't believe in god LMAO and 80% does. Some how I highly doubt that and also wonder how they get their numbers.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I think that the majority of those who believe that there are many paths to eternal life don't really know why they believe it. It just makes it "easier" or more "convenient" or more socially "acceptable". They don't have to choose anything and stand up for it. This "many paths" reasoning just doesn't fit reality. The nature of truth is that it is exclusive not all inclusive. For something to be true then something else must be false. If you say that everything is true, then in reality what you've just said is that everything is false because not everything CAN be true. And if everything is true then why bother at all, it would all be rendered worthless, pointless and futile. I fully expect the onslaught of down votes and snarky replies...I did just acknowledge that standing up for something is socially unacceptable.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 3:38 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I think a lot of answers that researchers get as far as who believes what depend on the wording of the questions they ask.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:41 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I think that the majority of those who believe that there are many paths to eternal life don't really know why they believe it.

The same can be said of those that claim there's only ONE path. In fact moreso as they are more likely to simply repeat what they've been taught and are often instructed not to question it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• If you say that you believe there are many paths to enlightenment, how into talking about religion are you likely to be? It's the people who insist they have the "one true path" who love talking about it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:11 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I think that the majority of those who believe that there are many paths to eternal life don't really know why they believe

This is one of those times where it's a shame we don't still have a downvote. You really believe all the non-Christian religions where universalism is doctrine are just confused?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• "They don't have to choose anything and stand up for it"
    I am one of those people. And I will tell you now, I do know what I believe and I do stand up for it. I have choosen what is right FOR ME!!! I am not arrogant enough to presume to tell someone else what is right for them. I do believe that all religions have a grain of truth in them. If you would actually open your mind and study different religions, you would see how much alot of them have in common, just worded differently.
    To the op, I think the problem is that the "one truth path" crowd is simply louder then the rest of us.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Crazy people make the news.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:32 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Just think a minute before you take offense. I didn't say all were this way but a majority is. It is said often enough that the majority of religious people (usually directed at Christians) are just riding the coattails of their family tree. Do I take offense at that? No. Because it is true. Sadly true. On the same token, it is not just true for Christians but for people in general. The path of least resistance is the one most often taken.

Louder? That's not true. Look at the replies. My opinion is the minority here.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 12:53 PM on Feb. 9, 2013