Do you give your teens spending money each week?

My ex and I both made the decision long ago to give our daughter spending money for the week each Monday morning.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 6:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• allowance of 20 a week each

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:44 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Mine are still young but I don't think I'll do that. If they want spending money they can work for it. It's not a necessity to me. Now i don't mind giving the money if they would like to go see a movie with a friend or do something fun.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 6:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• My son is 10 but I was thinking to give him the $100 left from his child support, 1/2 for savings, 1/2 for spending, than when hes a teen he can have more since his after school expense will be less but will always have to put 1/2 into savings.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:34 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Uhmmmm...no! I might give them money for special events, birthdays, and things like that, but not every week.
    Candace_mo5

Answer by Candace_mo5 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I gave my boys money as they needed it, unless it was for something silly then I just said no
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:11 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• They don't ask for money yet. When they do they will be given list of chores to earn said money. If I have to work for it then so do they.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:19 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I don't yet have teens (my kids are younger) but my daughter gets a weekly allowance now, and my sons will begin getting a weekly allowance this summer when they turn 5. That's their money for spending, saving. They will get their allowances through their teen years. I think it's a good idea (rather than having to come to us every time they want to "do something special" or get something.)

They may want more money than their weekly allowances, and that's where earning extra from a job, babysitting, etc. can come in. But I think it's a good idea for parents to provide an amount (that works for the family) so that kids have some discretionary money. If kids have to ask the parents every time, then the parents are the ones making every decision (deciding if something is "worth" the money, etc. and supplying it if they agree with the purchase or activity) and the kids lose an opportunity to make value judgments & learn from them.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I have a 13 year old daughter and a son that is 5 going on 6. My son does more work around the house than my daughter. Seems like i cant get her to do anything!

I do not give allowances out! We tried giving money to encourage chores but that did not last long!
    branzno

Answer by branzno at 9:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2013