Do you and DH/SO share same bank acct. or do you both have separate accounts?

madmueller

Asked by madmueller at 6:38 PM on Feb. 7, 2013 in Money & Work

• We share one. That being said, I kept the one I had before we married open (with just enough money to keep it open) because it's at a credit union and we might want to be able to go to them for loans and things in the future due to possibly better interest rates. I don't use it though right now, it's just there. Our joint account is the one we both use regularly.
    katinthehat8914

Answer by katinthehat8914 at 7:49 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• When I was married it was separate
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:38 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• We have a joint account, and I also have an account of my own for insurance purposes.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 6:44 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• We have joint and I have a separate account

Answer by louise2 at 7:00 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• We have joint, but I heard a financial advisor tell young couples once to always have them separate and have one joint account also, for joint purchases, trips, etc.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:31 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Joint then I have the savings in my name
    Candace_mo5

Answer by Candace_mo5 at 7:41 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• We have joint checking and saving. We each also have our own savings accounts.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:02 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Joint and separate.

Answer by missanc at 9:02 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I am so relieved to hear that all of you have some sort of independent account. I have a nightmare story of joint accounts and divorce.  I HIGHLY recommend you NOT have joint credit cards. I have been divorced from the lying cheating scumbag since 2002, and just last year, the last of the joint credit cards were settled. I paid my half long ago. And it was only settled because I called his father and pleaded for him to pay off his son's portion so I could at least start to rebuild my credit.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 9:02 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Both. We have a joint account as our main account and we both have a savings account each. On top of that I have a professional account.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 2:36 AM on Feb. 8, 2013