Need some advice on homework

we just had our meeting with the girls' teachers today. our oldest and middle children are having trouble in their classes. the problem is their homework. they do them but then they forget to take their backpacks, for some reason they take the papers out of their folders or they just forget to give the papers to the teachers. the homework is effecting their grades, they both got f's on their report cards because of missing papers. i make sure they put their papers in their folder and then in their backpacks. but somehow between bedtime and morning the papers had gotten out of their bags. anyone have any ideas how to help?
we can't think of anything. which is why i'm asking you.

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 6:38 PM on Feb. 7, 2013 in

• Are they on an IEP by any chance? My son had this problem. I would make sure he had it in the morning, I would remind him to hand it in, but no, it never got there. Luckily, he was sped, so I called the sped teacher and said, please stand at the door to his English class, have him take out his homework, and watch him hand it in. This embarrassed him so much, he started handing it in on his own after a short time.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 9:11 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Check their backpack in the morning.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:41 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Did the teachers try to contact you before it got so out of hand that they ended up with F's on their report cards?
    Most teachers would inform parents that the student is not bringing in their work or falling behind during the semester.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Pack the backpack and check them at night. Put them in the kitchen/ livingroom. Check them in the morning/ Remind the children to give the teacher the homework.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:00 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Do teachers collect homework anymore? I don't see how a student could forget to hand it in (if it's at school, in the classroom with the student, that is.) I can see not having it to hand in if she forgot and left it at home, but how do kids forget to hand it in if they took it to school and have it right there in a folder or backpack?

It seems like my teachers used to call for homework at some point in class, going around and collecting it. You'd usually pass it up the row to the front, or sometimes I guess the teacher would go from desk to desk, depending. So there's a time FOR handing it in (not easy to forget.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• yes they are. i send an email to the teacher when i get home from the bus stop to let her know that the homework is in the backpack.

strange thing is even though the teacher reminds my oldest, she still forgets to hand it in.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• My stepson had the same issue. We started making the teacher sign a slip that said the homework had been handed in. If he didn't get the slip signed or didn't bring the slip home, no TV or computer time that night. If it was on a weekend, he was out of luck till Monday. He took responsibility for turning in his homework in very short order. How old are your kids? Unless they're very young, they need to start learning to take care of their obligations because there won't always be someone checking their backpacks, e-mailing the teacher, or reminding them what to do.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:21 AM on Feb. 8, 2013