Add/adhd in young kids?

due to increasingly bad behavior i'm starting to wonder if my little one may be affected by this disorder. i plan on asking about it at her next doctor appointment.
i just feel like she's so young to be put on a medication, but the child mind institute says most kids are diagnosed between 3 and 6.

do your kids have it?
what age were they diagnosed?
how do you feel about medicating preschoolers?

ilovemymonsterr

Asked by ilovemymonsterr at 6:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i have a neighbor whose both children have it. to me it seemed the meds made them worse, i just give them a cup of tension tamer to calm them down in the morning and a cup of sleepy time two hours before bed to help them sleep.

the kids are older than yours and i've only known them for a year.

hubby had a co-worker who has both her kids on a herbal pills for add you can talk to the nature stores they will be able to help you.

sorry i don't know much about it. depression is what runs heavily in my family.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 7:01 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Most doctors will not diagnose until the child is at least old enough for school, so 5 or 6. Most of the drugs to treat ADHD are not approved for use under the age of 6. I think that child mind institute thing you read could have been wrong. Both of my kids have ADHD, and personally, I feel diagnosing before they are at least school age is a bad idea. If you want to try some natural treatments, such as fish oil and dietary changes, or as someone else mentioned, behavioral therapy, just to see if you notice an improvement, go for it! But I would not push for a diagnosis or meds just yet. My kids were on meds, and though they definitely have their purpose and can be hugely beneficial, they do also have some serious drawbacks that should be considered seriously.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• My youngest had ADHD along with some learning disabilities. She is not medicated and she is 10. She was also not diagnosed until a couple years ago.

I believe that most (if not all) ADHD medications are not FDA approved for use in children under age 6. However behavioral therapy has been proven to be quite successful in many patients. To be honest, most doctors will not diagnose it in children under age 5 or 6, and some wait until a little older than that. Bad behavior in a young child does not automatically indicate ADHD. Can she focus on tasks? Can she sit still for periods of time? Is she easily distracted and can't stay on task, even if it's something she likes to do? Does she talk excessively? Fidget? Interrupt people all the time? These are bigger indications of ADHD than bad behavior.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:15 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• my daughter in spectrum
    she has autism
    she is 5, dx at 3, i knew at 2.5

she is not on ANY meds

i did change her diet
    it has worked wonders

http://www.feingold.org/
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:44 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• http://www.feingold.org/

clicky for you

i do the elimination diet- none of the nasitiest chemicals

i do not do the GFCF diet, but moms that have, most say it helps a lot too

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I have one that is ADHD and another that is ADHD and PDD/NOS (Autism Spectrum Disorder). They one with straight ADHD is medicated, but we didn't start it until he was in kindergarten. The other, they tried meds, but they didn't seem to help (actually made some of his Autism symptoms worse), so we stopped them.
    At pre-k age, most docs won't prescribe meds anyway, since most of he ADHD meds are only approved for school age children. I know this may sound a little weird, but try some caffeine and see if she calms down. We did that with my oldest before he got put on meds and it worked wonders.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:27 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• do your kids have it? yes but it is coupled into other disorders.
    what age were they diagnosed? 5.5 but his primary diagnosis is Asperger's syndrome
    how do you feel about medicating preschoolers? I feel that there are many other methods that can be tried first.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:02 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• the earlier you get a dx, the fastest you can start to address issues

daughter got dx of autism at 3
    she is now 5.5
    wish i got on the ball earlier

no reason to wait until 5 or 6
    unless it is not noticeable until later
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• My stepson started getting meds for ADHD when he was in late elementary and early middle school. They helped him immensely. The big drawback was that they made his appetite disappear almost completely. He had growth problems--at twelve years old, he weighed 65 pounds. Trying different meds, along with protein shakes and a lot of perseverance, has rectified that situation, but I would be terrified to give the meds to someone in preschool who still has so much growing to do. Some of the meds also made him terribly sleepy and even depressed. Tread carefully.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:43 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Although we pretty much knew she had ADHD previous, my daughter was officially diagnosed shortly after she turned 6 and medication was started shortly thereafter.

During pre-school, her first half of kindergarten, and the summer in between she was seeing a counselor to try to help her with her attention and impulse issues. We took advice from the counselor and tried different things at home. Nothing seemed to work for her.

Finally when it became obvious that DD's school work was suffering greatly because of her ADHD symptoms, we went for the diagnosis and took the medication route. Positive results were literally overnight. She has been on for almost a year now and it is still working very well for her, although we are going to need to talk about tweaking things at the next appointment.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:55 AM on Feb. 8, 2013