Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I qualify for state assistance? (this is long)

I live in Kansas with my boyfriend. I make $11.00/hr full time. I pay for health insurance through my job for myself only. I have a 1 year old that I support on my own without assistance, including $350.00/m I pay to a sitter. I have a $300/m car payment. My boyfriend makes $21.75/hr. After taxes, insurance for him and his girls, and $780/m in a child support garnishment, his bring home is roughly$1,400/m. His mortgage is $500. Plus $200 for lot rent. Utilities, credit card payments, loan payments, and an outrageous amount of dr bills esp from his daughter's mother's taking the kids to the ER more often then a normal child should go. I have a 3 yr old and a 5 yr old. I pay $400/m in child support. We are always so so broke. My older two are moving in with us. I am so worried about this transition and it has me stressed to the max. I break out in tears over the smallest things and I'm stressing out my boyfriend who has a very mentally and physically demanding job on top of the sadness of barely getting to see his girls so I gotta chill out for everyone's sake. I gotta be strong. And responsible. I know I'll have $400 more a month to utilize but I don't know if that will even cover the cost of a sitter for my older two. Plus food which we struggle with already. There's so much more but I just need a little help. I've tried a second job with just my 1 yr old it wasn't cutting it for a sitter and these babies need me. My income is to great for me to get food stamps if it's just me and my little one. Maybe daycare. But now I'll have 3 babies to claim for. But I'm worried my boyfriends income, though of no help to me other then me only having to pay half the rent and utilities, will hinder me getting any assistance. Would I be able to say I live with him but his income doesn't help support these kids. Would they let me just claim what I pay him, and not his income, so I can get some help to feed and daycare my kids? Any suggestions or advice?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Feb. 7, 2013 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • If you and your boyfriend do not have any children together they will just look at your income/resources.

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

  • call and apply?

    Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 7:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

  • No one here can really answer you're question, In most states you can apply online.

    Answer by 3libras at 7:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

  • All you can do is take proof of every bill you have, and proof of your income, and go apply for help. You may qualify for some programs and not others. If you aren't married, you may be able to count only your income if you can prove that your boyfriend pays half of the rent, and show that you don't have children together. Otherwise, you'll have to claim both of your incomes. Again, it varies from program to program, so you may qualify for some and not others. The best bet is to be honest with your case worker and let him or her help you figure it out.

    Answer by Ballad at 7:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2013


    Go there, it's Kansas ' welfare application form, it's online.

    Answer by funlovinlady at 7:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

  • you need to call them direct

    Answer by san78 at 6:55 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

  • Thats a toughie the best way to find out if ytour elligable or not is to go and a plly and if they say that you are or arnt then take it with a grain of salt but you can also apply for W.I.C. if they offer that in Kansas? It helps with food and also apply for Chip it helps with childrens medical bills and its like insurance for the kids good luck.

    Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 9:17 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.