I envy others' religious faith

I can't bring myself to believe in gods or
an afterlife, but I really envy those who
have faith. I fel like I'm missing
something, but my rational mind and logic
will not alow me to believe. Has anyone
else ever been where I am?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2013 in Religious Debate

• What spiritguide said :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Whoever said the people who believe in god(s) are the only ones who have faith? I know many people that don't believe in any god, and they still have an immense amount of faith. They have faith in other people and in themselves. Faith does not have to lie in a god/s alone. There can be many things that a person has faith in.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• No I don't envy them, I've lived both sides I tried faith it wasn't for me I'm very happy with where I am now.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 5:10 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I didn't know Brian Welch was a Christian! I watched the video, definitely worth watching, he summed it up perfectly.

I havn't wtched the video (yet) but yeah-that's why he left the band. I did read his book though
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• No, I don't envy them at all.
    I see it as it is, a crutch, that they need it their lives.
    I think waking up to reality can be liberating, though it may appear bleak at first.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 2:05 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I kind of know what you mean. When I was younger, there were many periods when I wished I could believe. It's hard sometimes to believe you are on your own and there is no omnipresent loving parent figure who knows the truth, and all you have to do is follow these steps to find happiness and belonging forever... This sounds so lovely (so tempting), but wanting it to be real doesn't make it real. And I just couldn't shake my rational disbelief. Slowly I learned to have more faith in myself and what I can create for myself. And now I feel like whatever happens, I can look inside myself and/or reach out to the good people in this world (many who I already know and love, and many I don't know yet) to find a way back to my center. There is no need to believe in a God.. there's nothing left to be gained from it, just things to loose. Whatever you end up deciding, I wish you find some peace.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:30 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I forgot to add that I think I do know what you mean. My DH, for example, has a stronger faith than me. He's also not one to just believe something without logically analyzing it, but his trust in G-d is stronger than mine. Intellectually, I trust G-d and will never think He's "punishing" me or being cruel. But when difficulties come, I have a harder time than DH to stay in that frame of mind. And I see that he's less likely to worry or be frustrated than me. And it's not that I envy that, but I wish I could do it as effortlessly as he can. I eventually get there, it just takes me a bit more work.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:16 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I don't really envy those who have faith. I personally need certainty, it took me a lot of introspection and analysis to reach the conclusion that G-d exists and what view of G-d is the most likely one. I could never go by "faith" alone, like you, I need my intellect and logic to be able to "believe".
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:06 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I dont envy anyone-I find it to be a poor character trait. I work on myself and I find that speaks to me instead of looking at others lives and beliefs. Besides I find most religious beliefs to be antiquated and denying oneself the ability to grow spiritually. I find them detrimental to the soul.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:55 AM on Feb. 8, 2013