I envy others' religious faith

I can't bring myself to believe in gods or
an afterlife, but I really envy those who
have faith. I fel like I'm missing
something, but my rational mind and logic
will not alow me to believe. Has anyone
else ever been where I am?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Why do you envy them?  Do you envy those who are afraid of black cats or believe that sacrificing a virgin will bring healthy crops?  Why envy the superstitions of others?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• cool
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• how can you miss something you dont believe exists?
    do you envy their faith or do you envy the hope you think their beliefs give them?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:00 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Lots of people. The best thing I can suggest is keep exploring the rational and the irrational and hopefully you will find what you are looking for.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:01 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Yes and no. I wouldn't call it envy but this is a big reason that I'm raising my son to have faith even though I question my own. I want him to know what it is to have faith. If he grows up and decides he doesn't believe in it that's perfectly fine with me. But I want the foundation of his young life to be in faith so he can make a decision later based on knowing what it means to believe instead of being taught nothing.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• why is this in debate?
    can you truly debate one's personal feelings about faith?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• It's all subjective.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:08 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• This is why so many people go out to find what they do believe. Years ago I got upset over my thoughts that Christians program their children from a young age which didn't allow the child to decide for him/herself. So I get out to find out what I believed; a sort of "find myself" journey. I studied all religions and philosophies that were of interest to me. In the end I came back to Christianity but this time it was my choice. Don't envy what others have. Go find what's right for you. You will find it. Life is a journey. Take in all you can along life's path. Fill the void with what fits you.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• No, my whole life, I've known God. I can't imagine life without Him. I have had struggles and sadness where I've been numb to everything including Him, but not believing has never seemed logical to me. The God I know is the maker of all life and His name is Jesus. He is Creator God. The more I learn about life, the stronger my faith gets. Consider our bodies and the ordinary process of having children. Pregnancy and life are ordinary miracles in which the process is so intricate and precise, I can't understand how a person can't see God's hand in this. I hope you find what you are looking for.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 11:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Totally in a similar place as you. (not exact though) I believe in God but I don't practice what my religion preaches.. I question my faith and many of the things I was taught and raised on.. Sometimes I see others who pray more regularly and have a stronger unwavering faith and sometimes I envy it. Seems as though they have a calmness about then, and more at peace about certain things.. Wish I could be more like that but logic and science just brings me elsewhere..
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 12:00 AM on Feb. 8, 2013