I envy others' religious faith

I can't bring myself to believe in gods or
an afterlife, but I really envy those who
have faith. I fel like I'm missing
something, but my rational mind and logic
will not alow me to believe. Has anyone
else ever been where I am?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Why do you envy them?  Do you envy those who are afraid of black cats or believe that sacrificing a virgin will bring healthy crops?  Why envy the superstitions of others?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• how can you miss something you dont believe exists?
    do you envy their faith or do you envy the hope you think their beliefs give them?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:00 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• This is why so many people go out to find what they do believe. Years ago I got upset over my thoughts that Christians program their children from a young age which didn't allow the child to decide for him/herself. So I get out to find out what I believed; a sort of "find myself" journey. I studied all religions and philosophies that were of interest to me. In the end I came back to Christianity but this time it was my choice. Don't envy what others have. Go find what's right for you. You will find it. Life is a journey. Take in all you can along life's path. Fill the void with what fits you.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I don't feel like I am missing anything by not believing in any Gods...
    I still find beauty and amazing things and people in the world without it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:14 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• why is this in debate?
    can you truly debate one's personal feelings about faith?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Faith goes beyond the rational mind. It goes beyond praying for something and getting what you want.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:02 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I dont envy anyone-I find it to be a poor character trait. I work on myself and I find that speaks to me instead of looking at others lives and beliefs. Besides I find most religious beliefs to be antiquated and denying oneself the ability to grow spiritually. I find them detrimental to the soul.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:55 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Whoever said the people who believe in god(s) are the only ones who have faith? I know many people that don't believe in any god, and they still have an immense amount of faith. They have faith in other people and in themselves. Faith does not have to lie in a god/s alone. There can be many things that a person has faith in.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Lots of people. The best thing I can suggest is keep exploring the rational and the irrational and hopefully you will find what you are looking for.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:01 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• Yes and no. I wouldn't call it envy but this is a big reason that I'm raising my son to have faith even though I question my own. I want him to know what it is to have faith. If he grows up and decides he doesn't believe in it that's perfectly fine with me. But I want the foundation of his young life to be in faith so he can make a decision later based on knowing what it means to believe instead of being taught nothing.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2013