Boy Scouts are to vote on allowing gay members/leaders.

Discuss.

I will give my two cents later.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Feb. 7, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• yes they are.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:28 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• They probably already have gay members and gay leaders.

My two cents is they should allow it openly, and it's really annoying that they come out and say they are considering it, then take that back...

Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 11:29 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• I hope they allow it. It's about damn time more and more groups start those who are different then them equal.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:30 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• the last i read they have pushed the vote back to May b/c they just dont know what to do...or in other words they dont know if they want to be known as a group that disallows gays, lose all their uber conservative Christian scouts, or split the BSA into 2 groups (those who allow gays and those who dont).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:30 PM on Feb. 7, 2013

• The whole thing is freakin' stupid anyway because Boy Scouts ought to have nothing to do with being gay or not being gay. It's for boys to learn, socialize, and do activities, period. The gay issue should never have entered into it. My brother was a gay Boy Scout; he earned his Eagle Scout Award some thirty years ago. Whether he was gay or not didn't factor into anything. He might not have admitted he was at the time, or even known if he was, if he knew what it meant at all when he was twelve years old in the early eighties. Nevertheless, he was a fine Boy Scout. Somewhere along the line, somebody got on a moral high horse and mucked things up for everyone.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:12 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• So is there like a spot for people to list their sexual orientation on the forms when joining boy scouts? This is so strange. I am not saying people should hide if they are gay. I don't understand why it would matter? Pedophiles are pedophiles because they like CHILDREN not people of the same sex. So THAT can't be a reason. I am straight....WTH does that have to do with whether or not my kids can be in certain groups. This is the strangest thing to even have to have an argument about.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:18 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• It shouldn't be a vote-they need to just change their bigoted policies.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:49 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• From what I have read they are waiting to decide on this until May. Essentially they are giving each pack/troop the ability to make the decision to allow gay scouts and leaders within the unit. I would even go so far as to say that this probably already happens on this down low. It's hard to get parent envolvement in most extracurricular activities, and most reasonably minded people realize that gay does not equal pedophile. I'm fine with them allowing individual units ton make the decision that suits them best. Adult volunteers already have to go through training and a background check. I don't see them posing any more of a threat to the kids than any of the heterosexual volunteers. JMO.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:00 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Also, many (possibly all, I am not sure of the number) packs and troops charter through local churches,so that might have an impact on the decision.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:07 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Well, I believe it has been delayed until May.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2013