Brown stains on dishes

My white plates and bowls are getting these dark brown stains on them. I can't figure out why. We do have a well and hard water and I figure that's why they look dingy, but I'm not getting why these dark brown stains are appearing.  And even scrubbing them with a Brillo pad will not make the stains go away.

Ideas?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 8:44 AM on Feb. 8, 2013 in Home & Garden

• My Corellware gets that too. I think it's just a cheap dish thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• look like rust or burn marks
    old dishwasher?
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:52 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• My cheap dishes did that as well. No idea why.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:19 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Try MR Clean magic eraser.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 9:26 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Stop using the heated dry setting on your dishwasher. It's not "rust" or anything else. It's the plates themselves. The high temp of the dishwasher (or prolonged use in say a microwave, causes oxidation of the glass plates themselves, often in spots where water had collected. More so on "decorated" plates. Hard water can also accelerate the browning and you'll begin to notice it sooner than if you left the plates in their box or washed with distilled water. (YES even plates left in their box and never used can develope those brown spots over time. It's called cheap dishware.)
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:46 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Our dishwasher was new when we built the house in July 2002. Is 10 old for a dishwasher? It has been happening for a while now though.
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 8:54 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Yeah, I had that happen on my first set of dishes I bought when I left home, at Target. It doesn't happen to my actual china dishes.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:26 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• my white plastic dishes do that and if anon and funs do it, I would say its the dishes hmmm?
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 9:28 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• That's rust. Maybe it was up against a metal baking pan

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:31 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• yes, try a mr clean magic eraser or a non-scratch scotch-brite pad. I love both of these. The scotch brite pad will remove these stains and won't scratch your dishes even if you have cheap non-stick pans (don't ever buy those, you get what you pay for, I made that mistake, lol)
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 8, 2013