Help with a budget

Mortgage-$550
Lot Space $280
Electric $200
Gas Depends on time of year so $40-$100
Gas in the cars $100 a week
Were on food stamps so food is covered
Car insurance $67
Car Payment $340 ALMOST PAID OFF
In total my bills come out to $1142.00
I make 9.25 an hour my checks are ($698)after taxes,bi-weekly. I've been paying on my car faithfully out of my own checks because my husband let our last car leak oil and it got worse then the engine blew. I had to get a car so I can tote the kids around and get to work. I pay the insurance and food and gas as often as possible. Husband says I don't pay for anything. He's an electrical contractore when he makes money it's really good. When he has nothing coming in I try to support us with what little I make. I don't know what he expects from me what would be fair?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Feb. 8, 2013 in Money & Work

• When I add it up, your total is $1907 a month, and $1567 without the car payment. It sounds like your paying what you can out of your check.

My husband and I have never divided anything. His income is 'ours', mine is 'ours'....although most of our marriage I've been a sahm. Our bills are 'ours'. He wouldn't want me to be without a car...although at times it's happened. Even now that I have a job, I make a quarter of what my husband makes. I can't imagine him treating me that way.

What would be fair, is for your husband to be happy with your contribution to the family. I'm sure you contribute in other ways besides financially.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:55 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Are you getting a refund this year?
    If so I would use it to pay off or put towards the car since its almost paid off. (for me almost paid off would mean I would no longer have a car payment after this year)
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:26 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I agree with the previous poster. Try and get that car paid off with your tax money.

This is a bare bones budget! I know, I've been there. You've not listed money for clothes, cable, internet, phone, entertainment if any, etc. Since it sounds like your husband's income is unpredictable, I hope y'all can put money aside when he has income, even if it's just a little bit. Also, can he find supplemental work when he has no work with his full-time job?
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:57 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I hate when someone tries to do a his and my budget. It's a family budget and everyone contributes what he can. My dh also has a job that when he works he makes more in one week then I make in 2 but then he may not work for a month or more. We are each allowed so much money that is ours to spend as we want. This money comes out of the pot because he may not have a paycheck some weeks but he still needs gas, etc. The rest is put in the pot to pay the bills. You need to budget in for those times when he has no income coming in. Pay ahead on insurance, taxes, car payment, etc. Try to get at least 1 payment ahead on whatever you can.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:13 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Well, never mind about that tax money, sorry! I agree with ohwrite, too, your bills as a family as both of yours.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:58 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• My last payment will be in august.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:27 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Oh and no returns this year.. =[
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:53 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• When your husband does get work does he make enough to cover the mortgage/lot fee for a couple months?
    Maybe that can be paid in advance with his check, along with something else like car insurance so than when he does not work the money you make can be used for spending on other things.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:19 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• In my house my DH pays all the bills. I help if I need to. I spend my money on us eating out. I save most of mine because my DH is the spender in the family.
    What does your DH expect you to pay? Half the bills?

Answer by louise2 at 1:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2013