I feel like my 5 year old son hates me

I am new here and lately i have been feeling really down because it seems like my son just hates me!

I don't know if i am just being paranoid or silly or what, but he has always been a daddies boy ever since he was born. My grandmother also lives with us and she does a lot for him also. Its always been like pulling teeth just to get him to tell me he loves me. He gives me hugs and things but not often.

He always wants daddy to do things for him or my grandmother, not me! Its always been daddy for everything!!

He just isn't as loving as i am and maybe that scares me. I don't know its like complete opposite of him and me and his dad. We love on one another all the time, but my son is just like don't touch me kind of person.

Am i doing something wrong? Did i go wrong somewhere during the parenting here? I don't want him growing up to hate me.

branzno

Asked by branzno at 10:02 AM on Feb. 8, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just normal kid stuff
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 10:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2014

• I'm sorry you feel this way. Make sure that you are not the only parent in charge of punishment, it should be shared equally between both parents. Also, Try making a day each month or even twice a month and do something fun. Go to the zoo, a park, paint something, do crafts, roller skating, swimming, laser tag, chuck e cheese, etc. Whether it costs money or not just do something you both will enjoy. Even try taking time each night before bed to read a story together. Just make sure you tell him you love him everyday and make sure you show him you love him as well. I'm sure he does not hate you, but I can see where you would think that. It's ok if he doesn't say I love you back, as long as he hears you say it often to him.hugs

Mom2Dano

Answer by Mom2Dano at 1:00 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• you are doing nothing wrong. its a phase they go thru. trust me they will get out of it. then the next phase is.. dont hug or kiss me in public.lol. just keeping telling ur child that u love them no matter what and how they feel. show them you do love them even tho they arent sure of their feeling. its becuz of the rules now they r getting older. ur grooming them for life and job. if they dont listen to u they wont listen to their boss on the job or anyone else for that matter. its tuff i know but stick with it. and wait for the preteen yrs.. like around 9 or 10. they notice the other sex..wow. bless u on that.lolharmons running. just remember when u were young and try not to b to sturn. i hope this helps.
    ladybug13165

Answer by ladybug13165 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Thank you guys! I really appreciate all the comments! I will try and make fun time for just us! It just breaks my heart knowing my son runs to daddy for everything and makes me feel un-wanted!

Thank you again!!
    branzno

Comment by branzno (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• i assume you are the adult who runs the household
    and the last adult that can just play

try to make that time

bet, when dad comes home, he has time to just play
    you have to be parent more than a play friend

AND kids do have times when they prefer one parent over other
    think back, betting he preferred you over day when he needed comfort
    it will happen again

with grandma and dad as more play time person
    of course you are more the parent

i agree with lost, try to make special times when you can just be fun mom, and not all the other hats you have to wear being mom
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:06 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Have you tried spending one on one time with him? This is how my 3yr old is toward me. He prefers he's dad over me and it breaks my heart. I think its a phase because he does have those moments where he only wants me.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:11 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I'm sure he doesn't "hate" you. Why don't you schedule a special mommy & son day. Take him somewhere fun and spend some quality time together (just the 2 of you).
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:04 AM on Feb. 8, 2013