My mother paid 600 bucks for two dogs last Friday. They died on Sunday...

From what I believe to be parvo. Since she blew all that money on those dogs, she didn't have the money to take them to a vet, so there was no official diagnoses.

She got these dogs from a lady at a flea market. They supposedly had all their shots. Mother is going back today to demand her money back or two more dogs. I seriously don't think she has a chance in hell for either one.

Anyone go through something like this? What do you think?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 10:04 AM on Feb. 8, 2013 in Pets

• I truly feel sorry for your mom! What kind of dogs were they? I am sure that by paying $600 for the two dogs she thought that she was getting the deal of a lifetime..and were probably dogs she always wanted but knew she couldn't afford..till then. Going to the flea market, you take a risk, I did it, got two of the most wonderful beagles from an amish family..they did come with worms..but I immediately took them to the vet (with their shot cards that were updated) and the dogs were healthy as can be and they were the best dogs we ever had. It's just a risk that you take..some times it works out some times you get taken for $600. I wouldn't take that risk ever again...
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 10:27 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• 1) Why the hell would anyone buy a dog from a flea market much less two?
    2) The "owner" selling the dogs should ahve provided a copy of shot records for the dogs
    3) your mother is a moron. The lady likely won't be at the flea market today and your mom likely doesn't have any contact information and is out $600 as she won't be able to track the lady down again. She got scammed and at the expense of the lives of 2 dogs.
    4) Your mom has no business owning dogs if she can't afford to take them to the vet.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:11 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I think you can take them to court and have a good chance at getting the money back
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:07 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Yeah, small claims court.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:08 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• She should take them to court. That's so sad :(
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Parvo is very serious and this can happen. It's hard to prove and if she didn't sign a contract I don't know what she can do.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:26 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I agree that she shouldn't have bought the dogs if she wasn't going to have any money left to take them to a vet, also buying from a flea market wasn't the best decision. From what you have just posted I am guessing that she made this decision completely on emotion and is probably looking for companionship like you said. Perhaps small claims court is the best idea if she can find out who this person is (also you could look into your state and local laws to see if her breeding the dogs for sale is against the law - some require you to be licenced for that.

Going forth, if she is looking for a companion dog she should consider looking into shelters for a grown / trained dog. There are many no kills that cater to specific breeds, so if she has a preference of the kind of dog then she still might be able to find something that suits her best.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:46 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Yes, she got scammed. It often happens to elderly people.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• It's a sad situation for her. The dog she had for 12 years died a few weeks ago. Mom is old and partially getting denial. She was too attached to that dog, so I'm guessing that's why she bought the other two...for companionship.

They were chihuahuas. Some special type.

Btw, I don't appreciate you calling my mother a moron.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I don't really care. It was a moronic move, hence being a moron. Elderly or not. You NEVER buy a dog from an unreputable source (ie FLEA MARKET) unless you are prepared to pay out the nose for vet visits to eliminate all the known diseases and even then you are likely to end up paying more for vet costs as the dogs are likely inbred and will have all sorts of genetic problems. (Not to mention behavioral problems as well). It's just common sense.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 8, 2013