At what age did your kid start to wonder about gender?

So out of the blue last night, my daughter said to me, "Mom, I don't want to be a girl anymore. I'd rather be a boy."

I asked her why she wanted to be a boy, and apparently she had barged in on her dad while he was in the bathroom.

"Because I want one of those things growing on my body like Dad has. They look cool."

I told her that some people were born as girls, and some were born as boys, and that was just the way things were. I said her papa (adopted grandpa) was a man, her brother was a boy, her PE coach was a man ...

Then came the clincher.

She stopped me and proclaimed, "Coach Shane is not a man! I've never seen one bump on him under his clothes!"

While I was still floundering for words, she mused to herself, "Maybe he put it in the back of him. I'll have to look at his pants when I see him again."

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 11:06 AM on Feb. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

• my DD was curious the first time she really watched me change her brother's diaper, so around 3. but then it was just "whats that?" and we had the boys & girls are different conversation. she didnt mention it again till she took a bath with him around age 4 and this time i said "thats brother's penis, its where boys pee-pee comes from." her best friend is a boy and i havent heard any disturbing boy/girl stuff so im assuming its not a big deal for her. its just a fact of life. i think if she hadnt found out at an early age it would be more of a big deal...her best friend being a boy and all.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Thats so cute and funny, My son is niot that old yet but I was about 5 or 6 before I finally noticed differeent things bete=ween me adn my male cousin who are born a moonth apart so we used to spend a lot of time together. Just handle it in the best way possible.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 9:09 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• well, we began teaching her early on that there was a difference so that she would not be like OMG what do you have if she saw a little boys one day. She would feel it was natural and move on.
    She did at one time put things in her pants and say I AM a MAN, we held our giggles explained that really wasnt very lady like and that was that.

We also have transgender so she knows a good bit at the age of 4
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:17 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Fortunately I make sure the bathroom door is locked. My boys have never walked in on me.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:29 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Theyve never asked, my kids have transgendered people in their lives, so it's always kind of been out there that not everyone's the same.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:27 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• My DD is 5 and my DS is 3, they both know the difference between a man and a woman. They are both very happy being the gender they are now, at least they haven't said anything different. My DS is very proud of his pee pee LMAO. He is in the showing it to everyone phase and I am working y butt of trying to stop it.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:23 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• she saw a pee pee for the first time and now curious

maybe a book (age appropriate) about differences between boys and girls, to answer some of her questions

sounds innocent- a good talk about privates are private and NO, you do not want to look at gym teachers private area

give her some answers, simple ones, and she will be satisfied and get onto something else

good luck
    hope for you that this stage fade away as quickly as it started
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:20 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• oh wow, my boys are 5 and 6 and i have yet to have questions.. but i do believe girls mature a little faster than boys.. so she might just be curious since she saw her dad.. good luck with that! :)
    mampanda0422

Answer by mampanda0422 at 11:18 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• She'll be five in a few weeks.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• how old is your girl?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:13 AM on Feb. 8, 2013