MADD

If you can change the drinking laws would you? Which one's would you change?
I think I would make DUI into a felony instead of a misdemeanor. My "mother" has 3 DUIs and still has her license and still drinks and drives. (I try to report her many times but the police brush me off when I call). A friend was killed at 7am from a drunk driver. They hit her families car killing her and her friend and almost killing her family.
I would make it a 2nd degree felony.

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 11:40 AM on Feb. 8, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I lost my brother to a drunk driver.

Every DUI should be an attempted murder charge, period. If you kill someone, you should be removed from society. If you injure someone, you should be removed from society. If you keep on trying to kill people, you should be removed from society.

April will mark 9 years without my brother. It ruined my family. His murderer killed himself a few years ago and I hate knowing that he isn't suffering right now.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 12:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Yes, it should be more of a serious punishment for sure. Sorry for you loss.
    Here in Canada 1st time you lose your license for one year and a $1,000 fine. Second time I believe it is a 5 yr suspension.
    If you are pulled over and have been drinking but blow under you get an automatic 3 month suspension.
    Your Mother should know better, shame on her.

Also, FFA sorry for your loss as well.....horrible.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 12:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Well, I agree with you. So sorry for your loss.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• So sorry for your loss. I lost my cousin almost 22 yrs. ago to a drunk driver with repeat offenses, including underage drinking. He even had an ignition interlock device put on his car from his last offense, but he drove a different car that night. He did serve the full 10 yrs & had his license revoked for life. But who's to say if he's back at it again or not. I hope not. Stiffer penalties would be good, but there will always be those idiots hell-bent on destruction, who will drive anyway. Sad. :(
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:28 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• I don't think that changing the laws would actually help. Have the laws against drugs helped the problem any?
    I think what needs to happen is we start holding bars and places that serve alcohol accountable to. You think a bar is going to let someone they know is drunk drive home if they know they will face a hefty fine and/or closure?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:26 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• The UK has a lower drinking age, they also have a much larger alcoholism problem than we do. They also arrest a large portion of their drunk drivers in the morning - meaning people who think they've slept it off, but binge drank so much that they're still drunk the next day. We don't have nearly that rate in the US. Stats on drug addiction are similar.

Want to put an end on drunk driving, lower the level to that used by some other countries - .05, and make jail time mandatory for the first offense.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:41 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Maybe more education, or a different approach to education. I think more laws just aren't convincing to people, sadly. I'm surprised at the number of people who do this.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 1:02 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Sorry for all the losses, In my state CA you can report DUI and I have is expensive if the person gets caught. I really hate the days when most really go overboard. Valentines and St Patrick day are the next two day I hate, then the big one fourth of July. No need to drink and drive.
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• i think DUI punishments should be harsher...we have to get thru to the idiots who drink & drive.

but i think the drinking age isnt the problem. its our society's mentality towards drinking that is. old young doesnt matter, stupid ppl will do stupid things. but if it isnt this huge thing (oh im 21 im going to get plastered at a bar!) then maybe their wouldnt be so many young ppl thinking its their right to get wasted.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:31 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I think the age needs to be lower for drinking. The drinking doesn't really matter because if they're 11 or 21 and want a drink they will. Doesn't matter that they're not allowed. They will find a way. I just think that someone old enough to die for our country should be allowed a drink if they want and I'm not big on drinking.

I think that if you get a DUI the first thing you should have to do is work in a mortuary. If it didn't infringe on the grief of people I'd love for them to have to be the one to tell a family that their loved one was killed by a drunk driver. I know that one isn't possible but it might sink home....
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2013