MADD

If you can change the drinking laws would you? Which one's would you change?
I think I would make DUI into a felony instead of a misdemeanor. My "mother" has 3 DUIs and still has her license and still drinks and drives. (I try to report her many times but the police brush me off when I call). A friend was killed at 7am from a drunk driver. They hit her families car killing her and her friend and almost killing her family.
I would make it a 2nd degree felony.

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 11:40 AM on Feb. 8, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I lost my brother to a drunk driver.

Every DUI should be an attempted murder charge, period. If you kill someone, you should be removed from society. If you injure someone, you should be removed from society. If you keep on trying to kill people, you should be removed from society.

April will mark 9 years without my brother. It ruined my family. His murderer killed himself a few years ago and I hate knowing that he isn't suffering right now.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 12:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• A person will drive without a license and they will drive drunk without a license. I am so for your loss.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:43 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• It's good that a DUI costs so much in California, but they need more jail time, and more community service on top of that. It's easy to write a check each month but it gets harder to do when it actually imposes on your daily life.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:44 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• In my state of WI,some have gotten 30-40 DUI's,and are still on the road.
    I like a 3 strikes you're out policy. If you drive drunk twice,you lose your license for 6 months,and have to do AA type counseling. Any more strikes and you lose the license for life and do jail time

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:45 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I agree, a felony. My sister was killed by a drunk driver who has many DUIs, still had a license and never did any jail time.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:46 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I like the change that you are proposing.  There need to be tighter regulations and more serious punishments for those who would choose to put others in danger.

And I know I will probably get crap for this but I think they need to drop the drinking age.  I think it is rediculous that they can send our children to war at 18 but wont allow them to have a beer.  If you are old enough to fight and die for our nation, you are old enough to have a beer.  Either they are adults at 18 and can make adult decisions or they are not ... Taxes, war, legal marrying age, etc but they cant have a beer?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• ^^ I think they need to raise the enlistment age^^ Because kids now a days are so damn immature and still in high school when they are 18. Not a very good idea.
    LostSoul88

Comment by LostSoul88 (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• they need to raise the legal drinking age to 25. that's when most people's brains are fully matured, of course, there will still be idiots that drink under the age anyway, but they should also make it a felony like you said. and i dont think 18 year olds should be old enough to join the military either.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:54 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• gah, i didn't word that last sentence properly. i think they need to raise the age that an adult can join the military also.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:55 AM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I think the age needs to be lower for drinking. The drinking doesn't really matter because if they're 11 or 21 and want a drink they will. Doesn't matter that they're not allowed. They will find a way. I just think that someone old enough to die for our country should be allowed a drink if they want and I'm not big on drinking.

I think that if you get a DUI the first thing you should have to do is work in a mortuary. If it didn't infringe on the grief of people I'd love for them to have to be the one to tell a family that their loved one was killed by a drunk driver. I know that one isn't possible but it might sink home....
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2013