MADD

If you can change the drinking laws would you? Which one's would you change?
I think I would make DUI into a felony instead of a misdemeanor. My "mother" has 3 DUIs and still has her license and still drinks and drives. (I try to report her many times but the police brush me off when I call). A friend was killed at 7am from a drunk driver. They hit her families car killing her and her friend and almost killing her family.
I would make it a 2nd degree felony.

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 11:40 AM on Feb. 8, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Sorry for all the losses, In my state CA you can report DUI and I have is expensive if the person gets caught. I really hate the days when most really go overboard. Valentines and St Patrick day are the next two day I hate, then the big one fourth of July. No need to drink and drive.
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Maybe more education, or a different approach to education. I think more laws just aren't convincing to people, sadly. I'm surprised at the number of people who do this.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 1:02 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• The UK has a lower drinking age, they also have a much larger alcoholism problem than we do. They also arrest a large portion of their drunk drivers in the morning - meaning people who think they've slept it off, but binge drank so much that they're still drunk the next day. We don't have nearly that rate in the US. Stats on drug addiction are similar.

Want to put an end on drunk driving, lower the level to that used by some other countries - .05, and make jail time mandatory for the first offense.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:41 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I don't think that changing the laws would actually help. Have the laws against drugs helped the problem any?
    I think what needs to happen is we start holding bars and places that serve alcohol accountable to. You think a bar is going to let someone they know is drunk drive home if they know they will face a hefty fine and/or closure?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:26 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• So sorry for your loss. I lost my cousin almost 22 yrs. ago to a drunk driver with repeat offenses, including underage drinking. He even had an ignition interlock device put on his car from his last offense, but he drove a different car that night. He did serve the full 10 yrs & had his license revoked for life. But who's to say if he's back at it again or not. I hope not. Stiffer penalties would be good, but there will always be those idiots hell-bent on destruction, who will drive anyway. Sad. :(
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:28 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Well, I agree with you. So sorry for your loss.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Yes, it should be more of a serious punishment for sure. Sorry for you loss.
    Here in Canada 1st time you lose your license for one year and a $1,000 fine. Second time I believe it is a 5 yr suspension.
    If you are pulled over and have been drinking but blow under you get an automatic 3 month suspension.
    Your Mother should know better, shame on her.

Also, FFA sorry for your loss as well.....horrible.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 12:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• ^^ I think they need to raise the enlistment age^^ Because kids now a days are so damn immature and still in high school when they are 18. Not a very good idea.
    LostSoul88

Comment by LostSoul88 (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Feb. 8, 2013